Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today V1.2

I’ve been thinking about this for a few hours and concluded that that’s a bloody lovely piece of kit.

2 Likes

Ok then :grinning:

19 Likes

That is stunning!

Wish my AN Oto’s valves were on show, just looks dull in comparison.

1 Like

All joking aside Guy Luxman really do the whole fit and finish thing so well, as they should be for the price they charge, but I’ve seen more expensive amps that pale in comparison.

I had one of their big solid state beasts a few years ago which I bought from a dude on the WAM and it was the same.

The one thing that really stands out looking at it now is that the VU meters light / volume button light / on switch light and valves are all the same warm orange colour.

It’s like I have one of the those old 5 bar electric fires that plays music. :grinning:

7 Likes

Cheers.

I know they’ll have their reasons for that but it seems such a shame to hide the glowing things away.

1 Like

Right then, I’m going to be a cunt and say what does it sound like?

UKAN really need to pick up their aesthetic design / casework game.

True, but imagine the price they would be then.

I do understand the argument that amps are for ‘sound’, it’s what’s in them that counts. There are other factors at play however, you have to live with them (Look at them and hopefully love them, take pride in them, enjoy them) and this is where AN could profit further. Yes there is a certain outlay but people regardless of what they say do buy with their eyes and ears. They could sell more which may keep the costs down. Well designed casework doesn’t have to be ridiculous in price - Luxman manage it.

4 Likes

Looks great :+1:

I’m a big Luxman fan.

1 Like

I found it a joy when it was here;

I did feel that the gain wasn’t sufficient with moving coil into the AN-Ks but it was otherwise a lovely, lovely thing :+1:.

1 Like

They aren’t badgers though.

In a lot of (nice looking) SS gear the enclosure, knobs, switches, etc. are the biggest manufacturing cost to the manufacturer, with valves that changes somewhat I guess.

Edit: Vintage Mercedes are not cheep.

First impressions are sublime and I think Chris @thebiglebowski was absolutely spot on about EL84 valves being a perfect match for the Hecos.

Very early days but so far the phono stage, in MM mode, isn’t a big improvement on the phono stage of the Cayin amp I sold but the soundstage is very slightly different so it will take a good few listening sessions to get used to it. The MC mode is supposed to be very good but I don’t have a cart to test it out hey ho.

The most noticable difference so far is it sounds superb at the lower volumes I prefer these days. :ok_hand:

6 Likes

The Badgers need to hire a designer. The Luxman Valve amps look nice. Only my pov. There are only so many years you can be happy with black boxes.

A silver fascia is available for the adventurous :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t know how I missed your post Ed.

But your right it is lovely thing. :+1:

Edit - I notice I didn’t miss your post maybe it was you that planted the seed :+1:

Fucking lovely bit of kit that Al - I have an envy! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

The red transfer - It would be hard to make it look cheaper.

7 Likes

I assume that the drab exterior hides a rather spendy price tag?

They managed it though

I give you Ongaku

Good job they’re not expensive

3 Likes