Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today V1.2

Harmless motion though, far less than half the arm/cart compliance.

What do the air suspension ones go for, £5k+?

At the moment i use the seismic pods, air damped springs, which kill footfall stone dead.

I suspect my pending landrover project will denude hifi funds and unless passing trade down the docks picks up such engineering delights will remain on the want side of need.

Vibraplanes turn up fairly often but with the pumps / seals / general faff involved I’ve stuck with Seismic pods for the time being too.

Got the Yamaha YH-5000SE in on test at the moment;

Yours for a brisk five grand, they’re quite unusual for a Yamaha product in that there’s pretty much no adornment or ornamentation to them; it’s basically enough material to stop the drivers falling out the back of the housing and keep the whole shebang attached to your head. This might seem parsimonious but the build is superb and they’re really comfortable as well. One other minor detail is that, having now tested a few of the really spendy headphone options, these are realistically the best yet…

8 Likes

They wouldn’t look out of place in a military setting :grin:

2 Likes

I was just thinking Lancaster bomber.

2 Likes

The more time I’ve spent with them, the more I admire the testicular fortitude of the guy who stood his ground in front of the higher ups and insisted on no unnecessary weight or fripperies but yes, compared to Focal, T+A etc these feel basic to the point of crude… but the result is more comfortable.

Noise leakage is effectively total so they’d be in the ‘rowing boat handbrake’ category of usefulness.

4 Likes

They certainly have a Bletchley Park look about them

Including incoming, or is that less of an issue?

Have you had the Raals in for review?

They’re on the list :+1:

1 Like

Get some Warwick Acoustics. At least they don’t look like they’ve been built in a shed.

Roksan Xerxes 20 bought from @Ruprecht, many thanks Matt. Not set up yet but hopefully will be tomorrow.

36 Likes

That was a bargainous thing.

Vinyl is a pain in the arse imo. But I like that sort of thing.

2 Likes

:ok_hand:

1 Like

I need to see if I enjoy the whole vinyl thing. If not I need to stop wasting money on records :grinning:

4 Likes

What sort of a cartridge are you using on it? If it is the Roksan, then I would recommend trying mc.

Might have a spare AN sut for borrows if needed.

1 Like

Yes, the Roksan cartridge. Thanks for the offer :+1:

Lovely turntable :+1:

3 Likes

Have you had a deck before, Pete? Can’t remember.

1 Like

It’s a lovely turntable and tonearm capable of doing justice to a good mc cart. Nice buy

1 Like