Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today

I confess that was my first thought (motor start or motor run) but the blurb does say that they use ‘high grade foil in oil capacitors for the high-tension supply’.

I was a bit surprised to see that while they claim a DC supply for the 300B filament they also provide a hum-bucking knob on the rear panel to balance out ‘any residual hum introduced by the heater circuit’. So not really DC then. A 5V LDO regulator would have set them back £2.68 + VAT and eliminated the problem.

VB

1 Like

Giving one of these a try, seems to suit the Supex SD900 Super.

7 Likes

It is a lovely thing for not too much £££. I really liked mine but the big brother is miles ahead.

I would love to use my Hagerman Trumpet or Audio Innovations P2, but as I use MCs and they are MM only I have to use step-ups, but they hum like a bees nest where I have my equipment, I have tried different positions, different step-ups etc… always bloody hum.

My budget was £1K as I have just spent a lot on the Velodyne sub and a pair of stupid speakers.

Overall, Hagerman has much better midrange than the Allnic, but the Allnic has a better snappier bottom end. Allnic suits the Supex really well, so will use it for a while. The Ortofon Rhondo Bronze really likes my modded Audio Synthesis phono stage.

I had nice results with an ANS3 and an Allnic SUT via the MM input of the HS1201. The Allnic SUT into that phono stage you lent to me was terrific fun too.

1 Like

Couldn’t resist some valves back to compare with the Karan pre. I remember my previous Modwright sounded great with my Karan power amp so no surprise that this does too. Forgot just how bright the feckin LEDs are.

6 Likes

1 Like

These

Don’t forget to peel these off before you sell the kit. There’s a regulatory requirement for a visual power-on indicator and you’d be nullifying the CE mark if you were to obscure it completely.

VB

I see a lot of kit with incorrect CE marks as well

I see a surprising amount without any ! Indeed I’m working on one right now, and the rules were definitely in place when it was first sold.

VB

The led sticks out from the fascia so it’s a pain trying to use them.

Blu tac

Hammer

5 Likes

1 Like

image https://i.pinimg.com/236x/58/d1/22/58d122111a5c4f8d495f31ddeda2e51c--arts--crafts-tapestry.jpg

6 Likes

Just go blind.

1 Like

Yeah, his Mum said he would anyway…:rofl:

11 Likes

brilliant pre amp , be interested to see who will take on the brand now jack as stopped

1 Like