Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today

Get some NOS Reflektor 6n30p DR valves for it, they make a huge difference over the sovtek ones.

1 Like

May have gone a bit crazy recently but the speakers are really working in my room.

Audio Note AN-K Spe
Audio Note OTO SE phono signature
Audio Note DAC 2.1 signature
Aurorasound Vida phono stage

18 Likes

How does the AN DAC compare with the Auralic Chris?

1 Like

Very nice.

and what’s wrong with the AN phono stage, exacterly ?

I only got the DAC today as the fucking courier managed to break one of the capacitors and it had to go back to AN for repair.

First impressions are much better than the Vega though, I haven’t found anything I like as much as the AN DACs yet. I hoped the border patrol would do the same but it wasn’t close.

It’s ok but nothing special, even tried putting some posh mullards and amperex in it but still didn’t sound anywhere near as good as the SJS one.

How does the Vida (you sneaked that in) compare to the SJS. :grinning:

WOW Pure DAB Radio in beech!!!

2 Likes

I was hoping the Vida would be much better but they are fairly close, I think the Vida gets more out lower down, was listening to OK computer earlier and definitely noticed more detail in bass guitar. I think the Vida is more balanced and seems to be level across the range where the SJS is louder in the lower freqs.

Is the Vida new? Took mine a good while to really come alive. Either that or it took my brain a while to realise how good it was.
Enjoy, looks a lovely if somewhat familiar (haven’t you had a lot of the AN stuff before) set up.

Secondhand but it only arrived on tuesday so haven’t had a lot of time with it yet.

Seem to keep coming back to the AN stuff although previously it was much lower down the food chain with the OTO push pull and the DAC 1.1

My room is a complete cunt for speakers as it seems to go crazy with anything below 50Hz but the K’s are working really well.

1 Like

Glad to hear it, now just try keeping it all long enough to get used to it :grinning:

2 Likes

That 124 looks seriously tasty :+1:

1 Like

How are you getting on with the Groovemaster? Didn’t you have an An 4.1 ltd kit dac once?

It’s my first 12" arm so haven’t really got a reference point but it works really well with the Io and I haven’t heard any tracking issues yet.

Yep had a 4.1 kit DAC but wasn’t that impressed with it, certainly didn’t sound as good as the AN 1.1 it replaced.

1 Like

Is the AN DAC limited to 24/96 or will it take higher resolution files?

24/96 but it’s not really an issue as I use Roon which will downsample for me (not that I have any hires foo music files :wink: )

1 Like

Which output caps does it have fitted? I had the AN copper and tried a few alternatives. If I’d kept it I would have been deciding between the Audyn True Cu and the Deuland Cast. Huge difference in price but mid range on the Cast is superb, though they trade off a little in extension at each end.
Speak to SJS about it😉

It’s a stock DAC as I got it new from a dealer so has the AN copper foils, I previously had an OTO that had been fettled by Simon with the AN caps replaced with hovlands but it lost that audio note sound and was a little polite for my liking.

The biggest thing I’ve noticed with the 2.1 is the dynamics and soundstage are huge, the sound fills the room much more than the Vega and I think fettling will fuck with that.