Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today

:rofl:

hmmmm I don’t think I’ve experienced valve ringing.

is that a picture of your stash? they look well out of date.

Then you don’t need them.

Depends how loud you play music, only really effective when the amp is near the speakers and you give it beans.

Ah I see, you mean the speakers might energise the glass of the valve or it’s inerds? Thus making them “ring”.

Doesn’t only occur in the vicinity of speakers, by any means.
Some amp designs are very susceptible to microphony, period.

1 Like

Some valves are too.

VB

1 Like

OK, point taken.

Maybe I wasn’t thinking quite straight.

I wasn’t disagreeing. Valves can pick up acoustic noise through an amp’s chassis and the valveholder, and they can be shielded from it by effective covers. Back in the day lots of amp designers sprung their small-signal valves on rubber mounts, like tiny grommets. Now you never seem to see them.

But some valves are particularly sensitive to noise coming in through the glass envelope as well. DHTs can be so bad that putting them too close to the speakers can cause the whole system to start oscillating.

VB

You need to orde the chilli paneer 5 chillis hot.

7 Likes

:grinning:
That joke works better once you’ve read ‘A Confederacy of Dunces’.

Probably the funniest book I’ve ever read.

1 Like

It provides hours of childish giggles during nerdish discussions about valves.

1 Like

chap who sold me the freya reckoned the valve rings helped microphony , i wouldn`t know

got the saga in with firebottle amps again , i like this pre , i sense the the freya is extremely transparent but just waiting a little bit for that liquid midrange to appear which it hasn`t yet and vavles had not too many hours yet on them . maybe some tungsol instead of the stock valves . i saw some but i would need to check with one of you knowledgable guys on correct ones

the saga here

P1060391 by , on Flickr

Should have called is Sauna

Just looking at the HMV deck in my loft with early groovemaster

1 Like

Somebodies shrunk your platter. :joy:

yes , sorry about the toweling !! i don`t like scratching the black on the cd player !

1 Like

Heavier tonearm weight made at work

7 Likes