Shiny brand new second hand things in my system today

The excuse I’m sticking to, it went out on loan and didn’t come back :wink:

You are certainly right, in that it needs a set of those, but something else is amiss too, I think.

Are they easy to fit Mark ?

Bit of patience needed, but not difficult.

I’ve not had my hands on that one for 3 years. They are a bit clunky changing speed, and probably hasn’t been used for 78’s in decades, it’s also had 300+ mile road trip and may need a hug.

The speed slider looks very close to the plinth, 9 o clock on the picture, deck may’ve moved a little in transit?

‘Could’ new idler springs solve the 45 rpm noise problem, or is that barking up the wrong tree ?

Depends what is happening. My thought about the pulley (adjusted with the three grub screws, fiddly but doable) could also mean that when 45rpm is selected the idler wheel is rubbing on the top step of the pulley.

You could well be right, as speed adjustment isn’t right. It’s just a complete pain in the arse to get it to somebody who can sort it. Nightmare.

Maybe I’ll just stick to 33 LP’s

It may just be the picture but there doesn’t appear to be much clearance around anything in that plinth.

Are you sure there isn’t part of the mechanism getting wedged somewhere?

1 Like

Not that I can see Adam. Nothing seems to be fouling and the motor is moving / ‘bouncing’ freely, plus all is well with 33 rpm.

Bloody annoying tbh.

OK.

Now I apologise if this is obvious, but I’d hate not to mention it only for it to be discovered ages later - you are changing the speed with the On/Off switch set to ‘Off’ aren’t you?

2 Likes

Looks like your transit clamp is missing. If the unit has been transported without the clamp a number of issues can arise.
Valid points above.:

The unit must be switched to the off position to enable speed change:

The plinth could be fouling the linkages take the unit out of the plinth and suspend it on x4 corners (Bean cans etc) how does it run?

Be careful here. Once you’ve tried bean cans you can never go back.

3 Likes

:grinning:, I am.

It will be the weekend before I get time to remove the deck from the plinth, now.

It only runs noisy when the platter is on. Silent without, if that gives any clues.

Is the noise cyclical - (Thud Thud Thud). Metallic ringing, loud electrical buzz ???

It’s cyclical and a sort of non-metallic grating / rubbing sound though grating is probably a bit harsher sound.

With the platter removed get down to eye level with the idler wheel - Manually bring the idler in contact with the pulley. Bottom step is 33, middle 45 top 78 - Does the idler contact each step of the pulley centrally? If it is rubbing the step above you will get noise.

With the unit in the on position on 78 and the platter removed - get your ear close to the idler wheel is it thumping? If so the unit has been left in the on position and has developed a flat and will need to be replaced.

With a lint free cloth and some isoproply clean the inside running face of the platter (Have a good look at it too, any scratched, dents lumps of detritus?) Clean each step of the pulley and the running face of the idler wheel

1 Like

The unit runs silently in 43 and on 78, no thump thump. The idler wheel is another 2/3 up the pulley on 33, very close to the top on 45 and won’t get past the lip for 78 unless I ‘assist’ it by pulling it back and over.

without seeing the engage and return springs condition and position it’s hard to say (The idler housing pivot may also benefit from a lube. Remove the idler wheel (x2 screws) and you will have a clear view of the engage spring and position, if it’s stretched out or not located correctly it will need replacing similarly with the return spring.

If the noise is only on 33 look closely at the pulley and the inner running face of the platter (Lowest part closest to the bottom)

The noise is only on 45, the other speeds are pretty much silent.

Courtesy of Tim’s @Spider amazing skills this arrived this evening

12 Likes