Shit you just learned (probably from the internet.)

Yeah, there are a few for birds too. They are, without exception, hopeless.

3 Likes

Whatā€™s it called? I have a strange plant in my front garden Iā€™ve been having trouble identifying!

Ive used that on the few occasions Iā€™ve been stupid enough to drive into London. Its good.

1 Like

Pl@ntNet

Related - I always thought that the Genesis song Return of the Giant Hogweed was a bit of Peter Gabriel fantasy/social commentary, but it turns out the invasion is real.

2 Likes

Thanks!

We have an amazing amount of them along the local railway line in summer will need to get a few photos - that song always pops into my head when I see them.

1 Like

I know what you mean, Iā€™m always tempted to scrawl THEY ARE INVINCIBLE and THEY SEEM IMMUNE TO ALL OUR HERBICIDAL BATTERING on those signs when I see them :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Around every river and canal their power is growiiing

3 Likes

The next meteor shower could be one to avoid.

5 Likes

Exposure to the sap of Giant Hogweed leads to blistering caused by photo sensitivity. Nasty stuff.

Pictures of the blisters are real horror show like :scream:

Yep. I reported some to Bristol City Council a few years ago that was growing by the River Frome in St Pauls. It must have been 10-12 feet tall, proper triffid. It looks like Cow Parsley on steroids.

Donā€™t I know it! Bloody stuff

Mostly courtesy of Lucy Worsleyā€™s TV programme last night on the American Civil War:

The premiere of Gone With The Wind was in Atlanta in 1939. It was a big deal, attended by almost all the filmā€™s stars (Wikipedia says 300,000 people turned out to line the streets for the 7-mile limo procession to the cinema). But not Hattie McDaniel, who went on to receive the Best Supporting Actress Oscar for her role as the slave Mammy. Georgiaā€™s segregation laws meant she wasnā€™t allowed to sit with the white people. The organisers did, however, book a black choir and dressed them in 19th century plantation costumes to sing at the event. One of the children in the choir was the 10-year-old Martin Luther King.

VB

9 Likes

I like Lucy Worsley. Very easy to watch/listen to. Her series on the ā€˜done to deathā€™ six wives of Henry VIII was made to seem surprisingly fresh.

3 Likes
1 Like

Oh yes. I have had ā€œfunā€ dealing with this when coding things to load textual data into various systems.

1 Like

Ugh. Sympathies.

Sharks have been around longer than Mount Everestā€¦ 60 million years against 400 million ish.

3 Likes