Shit you just learned (probably from the internet.)

@Spider

Is this true?!

1 Like

hehehehehe

2 Likes

is that lean corned beef or full fat?

Don’t they say urban foxes like cat food? I have often thought that corned beef was probably as close as you can get to cat foot fit for human consumption. Mind you I love corned beef

It’s cheap corned beef, the cheapest I can find. I buy it especially for fox-food, but I may snaffle the odd slice or two.

second only to a freshly filled disposable nappy.

Or Chicken Korma as it is usually known.

1 Like

The last man executed by guillotine in France could have seen Star Wars as he was executed after it was released. (1977)

3 Likes

Cancelling my twitter account a few months ago has saved me more time that I imagined,
I don’t get to waste my time reading half the posts on this forum for a start!

2 Likes

Dolly Parton once lost a Dolly Parton lookalike competition to a drag queen

2 Likes

Magnus effect, which occurs when the air on the front side of a spinning object is going the same direction as its spin, which means it gets dragged along with the object and deflected back to make it fly.

Is that the same principle that the Dambusters used?

Yes. Upkeep (the name of the bomb) was launched with backspin so the lift from the Magnus effect meant that it went higher between bounces so it could reach the dam with less forward velocity. This meant in turn that it didn’t smash into the dam and explode ineffectually at the top of it, but sank into the water instead and exploded much lower down thereby weakening the structure more dramatically.

VB

2 Likes

Thank you :+1:

I was hoping you might expand on this Graeme, my physics is a shambles but I am fascinated by the subject

There’s a model of the Mohne Dam near me, that was built for the Dambusters: https://bregroup.com/about-us/our-history/dambusters/

Sorry, I just pinched that from the bouncing bomb piece in Wikipedia. I believe the overall dynamics of the bomb, complicated as they were by what happened each time it bounced off the water, meant that Barnes-Wallis et al adopted the common experimentalist position of saying “screw the theory, let’s just fly up and down Chesil Beach dropping stuff until it becomes clear what actually controls what”. In most of physics it’s critical that the theoreticians’ flights of fancy are kept securely and frequently grounded by actual experiments. Unfortunately experiments tend to take time and skill and to cost money. So they’re less popular with the bean counters. The politicians like having big, shiny, complicated stuff to be photographed against though.

VB

It must be a bugger keeping it close when you go places.

VB

Trivial with my telekinesis skillz

Now you’re scaring me.

VB

Isn’t this the same principle by which side spin on a table tennis ball moves it left or right or indeed why top spin in tennis/table tennis brings a ball down earlier?