Slaughterhouse

Dis ^^

Tomorrow

20180610_073632_resized%5B6021%5D

@pmac Cloudy today so they’re unnecessary :slight_smile:
At 3pm and i’m officially done with them anyway.

I don’t normally post personal info on forums, but just maybe this story might prompt someone else to go for an overdue eye test.

Cheers
G.

3 Likes

Good news all went well - I had referral via an optician for an issue a few years back and had those eye drops I got home by public transport and had some walking to do on a sunny day - I had two pairs of normal sunglasses, it helped but I really needed wraparound ones. Uncomfortable but of course worth it.

2 Likes

Wow! Sorry to hear that, but glad the spotted it and were able to treat it.

1 Like

Great that you got it sorted Graham :+1:

And you had a day in L’pool…every cloud has a silver lining :grin:

1 Like

Sorry to read all this Graham, pretty scary!! I hope you are able to relax a bit today.

1 Like

Wow. You weren’t kidding when you said killer sunglasses!

3 Likes

2 Likes

Left eye aswell :smile:

I need to 'shop that into my photo

7 Likes

It can occur naturally too, of course

VB

Thank goodness for evidence and science. Confirms what users already know, particularly for pain management. Hope won’t be long, the U.K has to wait. Time for us to exert some pressure on the government, in view of the changes made already by Canada and a couple of U.S. States

https://www.focusondisability.org.uk/link-to-us.html

So, the bowel scope screening story finally came to an end today in that I finally had the procedure. They send you a DIY enema through the post which you administer a couple of hours before the fun starts then they inflate your lower bowel with gas and poke a camera a couple of feet up it and have a good look around. The scoping takes 5-10 minutes and is less uncomfortable than a typical bus ride given the state of the roads around here.

If they find bowel cancer, which they do 1 time in 300, then at least they’ve caught it earlier than they would have done. If they find polyps, which are precursors to cancer and are present 1 time in 20, they snip 'em out there and then and send 'em off to pathology. If all looks well (19 times out of 20) then you’re reassured. I was reassured.

So the procedure was a breeze. The faff I had to go to, including the lies I had to tell, to get the procedure done was not. After several years of pursuing this I now think the truth is that the screening service are using GP registration delay as a load-management tool. I had to change GP and register with one in Oxford i.e. 15 miles away. This involved lying to the new GP about my home address (for the avoidance of doubt, I have not actually left Mrs VB and moved round to my sister’s place). They asked for proof, so I had to change the address associated with one of my bank accounts and get a statement with the new address on. First thing tomorrow morning I will have to start backing all of this out. Fortunately the inertia of NHS admin means that my old GP practice still hasn’t de-registered me, so pulling the fat out of that fire might not be as bad as I feared.

The things we have to do sometimes, eh ?

VB

7 Likes

Hahahaha.

I did wonder about your username.

The examiners were actually all female, but to be honest my mind was on other things. When it was over one of them did tell me that I looked fit though, or words to that effect.

VB

2 Likes

“For an old man”?

1 Like

Under the circumstances, this sounds rather unsavoury!

Seriously though, glad to hear you got an ‘all clear’ :ok_hand:

2 Likes

I think she might have been older than me. Yes, really.

Anyway the window for this procedure is 55-60 so all the above shenanigans were about getting it done before my status changes from “Prevention is better than cure” to “Never mind, we all have to die of something”, which happens in less than 2 months time.

VB

It’s a song title from The Tea Party.

My record for a bumoscopy stands at two hours (not counting the faff before and after). Mind you, my insides were considerably fcuked at the time, so it was kind of understandable.

I asked if they were busy today and one of the nurses said they would be seeing 11 patients this afternoon then 6 more this evening. I reckon they allocated 20 minutes per session which included checking you were the right patient, explaining what they were going to do, doing it, cleaning up afterwards and filling in the (admittedly brief) report of how the procedure had gone and what they had found, if anything. The whole exercise was very slick.

Other things (enema, consent paperwork, getting changed into and out of the necessary togs, discharge paperwork) were all carried out outside the endoscopy suite. I suppose I was actually in the hospital for 45-50 minutes in total.

VB