SME 20/2 query

A friend of mine has seen this SME 20/2 with a silver V arm for sale local to him.

He’s a bit put off by the dust, lack of info and the shitty pics but he is still somewhat tempted as these things don’t come up for sale too often up here.

The thing is we are both clueless on price. Could someone advise the going rate or indicate if it represents good value at £6000? Thanks.

Seriously - make sure he takes a blade with him :grinning:

If that’s their best effort at an advert for a £6k t/t then I wouldn’t even consider it. YMMV

2 Likes

:grin: My friend is not a total jessie like me. He’s from Livi and can handle himself.

1 Like

I wouldn’t buy anything of value advertised on Gumtree.
Together with Craigs List it is a scammers home from home

I got my 20/2 with a V and DV XX 2 for £4500 on PFM a couple of years ago. Mine has the newer style power supply too. Even allowing for the fact the the arms have appreciated in value since then £6k seems very steep to me. Also, silver arm on black deck? WTF is that about?

2 Likes

It’s also on FB!

That’s all right then :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks. That’s very helpful. Just the sort of info I was hoping to find out.

1 Like

No drama. Happy to help.

1 Like

https://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/moreinfo7.php?prod_title=Sme_20_2&p=&prod_id=86921&q=%20SME&offset=

Same turntable

1 Like

Well spotted. Thanks. ‘Only’ £5500 there. Hmmm.

It’s advertised everywhere, this guy is motivated to sell - he may well consider offers. N.B: This is old kit, have a good look and a listen first.

1 Like

I have one from the same era which is just before they changed the power supply but had introduced the caps at the top of the suspension towers. Its best investment I have made but was under £4k with black V arm. TT was from Definitive and arm from a forum member.

£6k seems expensive and pretty close to what would have been paid for it originally at least 10 years ago if not more.

1 Like

Thanks for all the good info chaps. I’ve sent a link to my friend. I’ve no doubt he’ll find it helpful.