Some basic NAS questions

I’ve also been looking at the Zen mini; does anyone know if there is much difference between the MkII and MkIII ?

As I said to Jim the other day, if I was starting from scratch I’d go Innuos, but I started when Sonos and Squeezebox were the only games in town so I’m quite heavily invested in not changing.

1 Like

Apologies for the thread necro, but I find myself in a similar position to Josh and this came up on a search. For new kit reasons I’m changing my streaming setup from media files stored and streamed from a portable USB plug-in drive to needing a simple NAS system. Before pulling the plug on a Synology DS120J I thought it wise to ask if things had moved forward in the last couple of years? Anyone have thoughts on this, or even a recommendation for something around the same price range? I have access to a 2TB HD (a NAS specific one I believe) if this makes any difference to my options.
Cheers,
Al

Well the latest Synology 1-bay is a DS124. Not “J” hence not the economy line, although still not wildly expensive.

I fairly recently bought a 118 to replace an identical model that died after just under 5 years service, and I’m perfectly happy with it.

I’m sure that the 120J will be fine if you’re not trying to do video transcoding etc.

Remember to factor in at least one, preferably more, USB drives of the same capacity for backup.

1 Like