South coast to Cornwall

Looking for 4 or 5 stops along the south coast and down into Cornwall from say The Isle of White to about Polperro.

Locations should be quiet, picturesque on the coast. We really don’t know that part of the coast well, I see the names of places I recognise (Exmouth, Sidmouth, Brixham etc) but we have no idea whether they are worth visiting/staying.

Dawlish is nice

yes that was on my list. Been through on the train, but never stopped.

Exeter isn’t small, but it’s got a lot of history and some great eateries.

Budleigh Salterton should fit all the requirements.

If you do stop near Exeter, you really must go visit Hanlon’s Brewery and Quicke’s Farm. They are within spitting distance of each other, and the cheese from Quicke’s is outstanding. Their extra mature cheddar is the finest example of the genre you will ever find, with no exceptions.

Ooh, nearly forgot Topsham. The Topsham 10 used to be a legendary pub crawl back when I was at Uni down there. Mostly very old pubs etc. and it’s near the mouth of the estuary. They are a bit out of the way, but both the Double Locks and the Turf Locks used to be excellent pubs.

The coastline from Weymouth through to Sidmouth is spectacular IMHO.

If you like somewhere with a bit going on and a few nice restaurants, then West Bay / Bridport, Lyme or Sidmouth would be worth a look. For quiet and picturesque (at this time of year at any rate - it’s murder in the summer) then maybe Beer?

Pricey, but my bucket list stop in that area for me would be here, after having sat outside having a cream tea a couple of months back.

https://theseasideboardinghouse.com/

1 Like

I have stayed at Milford on sea several times and walked around Keyhaven area and up to Hurst castle - thats good. Also Christchurch is nice.

The RSPB receiver at Arne is worth considering lovely walks plus- Dartford Warbler and Osprey opportunities

Portland Bill is also a nice place to visit

Further along we have been to Sidmouth Exmouth and Seaton although there is seafront walks we found that they are all a little underwhelming but nonetheless quite nice for a afternoon evening stop and seafront strolls.

1 Like

Wight

1 Like

we’ve stopped in Exeter a few times before, so we’d like to try somewhere else

Yes, you are :wink:

1 Like

Dartmouth or Salcombe,

1 Like

If you are coming in Dec Totness (Not on the coast) has a Christmas market every Tuesday night - It is worth a go and not far from Dartmouth (Parking can be shit) It is also filled with alternative types and vegan shoe shops.

Salcombe is quite yachty but pleasant none the less.

Noss Mayo is quite la de da but lovely for flop in the Ship inn.

it’ll be next year for this trip, we need to be in St Mary’s on Isles of Scilly on 31st August.

The plan will be to visit the SiL in Looe, and a friend in Falmouth, before heading to Lands End airport and St Martins in Isles of Scilly. The place Louise wants to stay on St Martins is already getting booked up.

For “reasons” the journey will start in Margate, and we have to call into the Isle of Wight for a couple of days

Mind you we will be in Looe next Weds for my SiLs wedding

very nice , i love catching the train from torquay to looe

babbacombe is lovely and fowey is a marvellous place to stay in cornwall and then you can walk to polperro

1 Like

For quiet I would recommend Beer, lovely little fishing village. The Anchor’s food is pub grub but not the fine dining you normally go for. Lyme Regis or Axeminster not far away and probably have better foodie options.

1 Like

pub grub is fine with us. Yes we do the foodie stuff from time to time, but not always

Do you actually ever eat at home? Do you have food in the house? Have you got a kitchen?

3 Likes

Ziggy Winner

2 Likes