Speaker isolation options

im a gaia man and happier for it

2 Likes

Very happy with Auralex platforms, affordable and fuss free. Really helped with bass vibrations on our suspended floor.

1 Like

Well it looks like whichever solution I go for I’m going to need to work out the best way of removing the current spikes safely.

Ideally the solution needs to look pretty discrete and if possible avoid increasing their already hefty footprint too much.

Under my big Tannoys, I use custom sized Sound Damped Steel plates placed on top of half inch thick sorbothane squares at each corner. Gives me a stable low profile platform onto which I can wheel the casters of the Tannoys without any fuss.

This arrangement has dramatially reduced the amount of bass going into the suspended floor.

As the SDS plates are out of sight, I was able to ask Les at Sound Damped Steel to sell me unfinished SDS aluminium offcuts which kept the price right down. It’s an effective cheapskate solution while I ponder the wisdom of upgrading to Townshend bars.

Townsend podiums if you want to isolate properly.

If you have access to the basement, then stiffen the floor by installing an acrow prop under each speaker, made a huge difference in my room.

Make a no compromise listening room

Agreed, and I still don’t understand why @crimsondonkey hasn’t done it yet, slacker

In my defense, crawl space under the floor is only 3 to 4 foot high… which would be a massively compromised listening room

2 Likes

Apparently swimming pool / sex pond related?

1 Like

This.

And this.

2 Likes

Would probably go for Gaia’s as they don’t increase the footprint and work well enough for the “cheap” cost

1 Like

My Podiums have raised the speakers by 3cm so if you removed the spikes you’ll probably be around the original height. The Auralex platforms are just over 6cm tall. Both will obviously increase footprint as I wouldn’t risk a platform the same footprint with a 95kg speaker.
Never tried the Gaias so can’t comment on them.

1 Like

Me too and I’ve tried a few options over the years but Gaias FTW

1 Like

Just been having a read about the Isoacoustics Gaias - seem a really good compromise solution that I may try since I’ve yet to get my finger out and make (new, massive) platforms for the Singing Washing-machines :+1:

1 Like

do it jewish GIF

1 Like

The standard ones or the full fat Titan ones?

I’ve got the Gaia ii I believe - recommended for my speakers, but I’ve just shoved them on the Sonus Fabers and they’re working well. You can look up the recommendations for different speakers on their site.

1 Like

At ~100kg you’ll need the 1’s

Float them on magnets.
Speaker Isolation - Solid Air Audio to show off your speakers

I have my AG Duos on a pair of Townshend Podium platforms. Like you, my listening room has a suspended floor over our cellar. They have made a significant improvement.

7 Likes

Cut a couple of square holes in the flooring, build some shutter work and create two concrete pillars. Saves on the compromise of isolation.