Spending free government money

Sorry, I probably wasn’t clear enough. I was including the cost of the tiling, self levelling compound etc. We had a quote for the old tech which was comparable with Paul’s. There was also the matter of the old floor needing removal as that version takes up more space and IIRC ten days minimum for the floor to cure before you could finish it. The UFC in our kitchen cost less than the very fancy radiators the DA was eyeing off before we managed to veto that.

Boiler was a fancy pants one so over 2k, plus a fair bit for the unvented tank
We used anhydride screed which was quite pricey, and also meant much prep for the Amtico flooring

Ditto for boilers and unvented tank here. We replumbed the entire house and redid the central heating at the same time. @A_Touch_of_Cloth was a great help in sorting out what we need to use. We’ve got two boilers now (one HWC and top floor heating, the other ground and first floor) whereas before we had a feckin’ knackered and underpowered combi that neither heated the water nor the radiators properly.

2 Likes

We had solar pv and my mum had hot water solar. Both reduced our bills but the pv was more versatile. Really came into its own when we had the leaf.
Was a plus when we sold the house too.
Biggest thing is that your roof faces the right way.

I have just claimed £6.00 a week of government money since the end of March for not spending £50 a week on fuel and 3 hours a day in the car.

1 Like

I’ve decided to get solar thermal. If anyone cares.

Just need to work out what to do about planning. In a conservation area roof mounted systems are allowed, but the general thinking is to apply for a certificate of lawfulness. I don’t really know why, anyone got a clue?

It’s the initial document that proves you don’t need planning permission.

Was going to get them when we were in Scotland and in a conservation village also.

It turned out to be a fuck on because the building was listed too. It was back in 2005 tho, so may have changed since then.

Council planning department will help.

Yeah my building isn’t listed at least. Locally listed, but that just means that some random person put it into a document 20 years ago, it has no legal standing.

I just don’t see the point in having a document that says this, when there is legislation that says it.

Bah.

Possibly :face_with_raised_eyebrow: