Squeezebox questions

Hi
Can a squeezebox touch be used to stream music from Spotify direct from my iPad?
Can it stream from a WD wireless hard drive without using a computer?
Will it work with an iMac desktop?

Can a squeezebox touch be used to stream music from Spotify direct from my iPad?

• not sure I understand - you can stream Spotify directly to the iPad already

Can it stream from a WD wireless hard drive without using a computer?

• it’s possibly possible, you may be able to mount the drive. Would need to check the SB forums to be sure though.

Will it work with an iMac desktop?
Yes

Maybe, until it goes tits up and then you have to spend hours scouring forums trying to work out what is wrong.

My advice would be to avoid as it is a piece of shite, old, unsupported (except by geeks) and can easily be beaten by something like a Pi if you want to go that route.

You mean control Spotify from your iPad? Yes.

With a pi you would have no problem doing all the things you say

Sonos connect.

1 Like

You could certainly stream from a wired in (USB) hard drive and not need to control it with a computer, i do that and use an app on my phone.

Be aware that Am Dismal and the biglebowski are both geeks what is simple for them is not necessarily easy.

Also be aware that Spotify have withdrawn support for Sqeezebox and it will no longer work on an SBT using a standard plug in.

I am sure it is possible to reconfigure it and someone says it is easy on the Slim Devices forum.
i haven’t been able to follow it at all.

i have no idea whether Spotify still works on Sonos but sonos is probably easier for what you want.

Sonos devices stream Spotify just fine. If it makes a difference, all Sonos devices are also Spotify connect devices i.e. you play from Spotify to the device, rather than the device pulling down Spotify. It’s a question of who wears the trousers.

I have three of them in use, two friends use them, and my two children use them.
None of us have any issues, and Spotify works, with an add on, that is on the LMS forum; just tick the box, reboot, and it works.

If the question is, what hardware should I buy to stream Spotify and access files on a server wirelessly, I would suggest getting a Chromecast Audio. Spotify works really well, and you can use Bubbleupnp to play files from a upnp server. This assumes that there is some kind of server for the external HD - even if it’s plugged into a router, the router will probably have a upnp server build in. But best check to make sure.

1 Like