Starting from Ground Zero

I reckon I could have CDS which are not on Tidal or any other streaming service :wink:

Yeah, but you wouldnā€™t ever want to play them :D.

1 Like

No ! Really ??? :unamused:

Itā€™s never stopped you beforeā€¦:pensive:

That is harsh but, on balance, fair.

Iā€™ve got the Novafidelity X40. A very nice piece of kit, if a tad over ā€˜busyā€™ at times. It also has the benefit of a decent ADC for archiving you records.

That looks a bit spendy compared with the others mentioned.

There are some (surprisingly muddy) legal details here. Iā€™ve lost track of what itā€™s currently legal to do when it comes to ripping your own CDs, and frankly as long as you keep the CDs itā€™s unlikely that anyone in authority is ever going to bother you over it. But if you were thinking of ripping and then selling, or even giving away, the original silver discs then youā€™d be in moral as well as (potentially) legal trouble. The loft is the obvious answer.

VB

It is, and itā€™s my answer, but itā€™s a fucking stupid answer.

I agree. If I was to go back in time I would probably go for a cheap laptop and the Vortexbox route

Much sense here - tweak it at source, itā€™ll only annoy you later I.e. dbPoweramp and a PC.

Also much sense here. Granted there might be some niche stuff thatā€™s not on Tidal or Spotify, but how much? Try it for a couple of months?

Ripping an entire collection properly costs a great deal of time. Is it worth it?

Mark, do you know if Tidal works with Transporter running lms off a Synology nas. Spotify has never worked for me with this set up.

Yes, you just need to install ickstream for it to work.

Cheers, would this cure spotify?

Donā€™t think they have Spotify integration.

Are you trying to get it going with the community app? I thought that supported the old players.

Tried both with no success, all was fine until I introduced the synology.

Apoloigies for going off topic. I have a squeezebox touch you could borrow Terry if you wanted to try the squeezebox route.

Thanks. But how do you rip your CDs ?

I started just ripping to a pc with external hard drive for back up. This will work with squeezebox.

I then moved to a nas drive.

What I did was load iTunes, point it to the location you want to save to, set it to import immediately in ALCA (lossless) and load a CD. Have a cuppa. Repeat.

Download metadata.

Play.

All steps from drop down menuā€™s in iTunes.