Starting from Ground Zero

Chromecast Audio? You could use it within LMS of you like, or cast to it, whichever you prefer. Has digital out.

1 Like

If you’re going for the straight “play it from the laptop” you could do a lot worse than JRiver, and one of the associated apps for your phone or tablet.

MediaMonkey is also fine for playback, but I’m not sure how remote controllable it is - it’s not something I’ve ever needed to do.

I’ve just moved to “play it from the laptop”, and am using J River. However, the remote control system Gizmo isn’t that good, so I may well move to the Squeezebox emulator, as it has better remote control plus Spotify integration. Then I route the audio through J River for the DSP.

Is it possible to cast from JRiver to a Chromecast Audio yet?

I think it is, but you’d have to fart about with UPNP servers. I don’t think you can simply press a cast button

http://i.imgur.com/JSiu0FO.jpg

10 Likes

All the same, was it wise to post your ‘shopping list’ where everyone can see it ?

VB

RE: Mr. MWS, it is confirmed ‘The standing cock’ knows no conscience or it would seem common sense. This much is clear (Even if veiled in Macedonian)

Big necro thread resuscitation going down.

Simple question I hope. Most here know my musical tastes; I have about 2.5K CD’s and 8 - 900 LP’s, mostly Psych, Indie Rock, EDM and Alt-Jazz.

Keep thinking I need to go vastly more streaming / Digitally based, so would I be better to Rip all my music or do the Spotify / Tidal catalogues cover, say 95%+ of what I listen to ?

Thanks for your vastly superior knowledge.

I am in much the same boat.
If you have it, rip it, and back it up.
At least that way, you will always have it, and the version you know.
Some things have many different releases, and you don’t know which version the streaming service, uses.
My two pence.

I originally ripped all my CD’s to flac and used to have access to them on my network but these days I am 100% Tidal.

There are a few albums / artists that aren’t available - Spacemen 3 for example - but I can live with that.
I could always stick a USB drive in the back of my streamer if I wanted to listen to my flac copies.

I believe that Spotify has a significantly better catalogue for the music I Iisten to than Tidal.

I think streaming will be such a different experience to how I listen now, that the only way to find out if I get on with it will be to pack away the TT / CDP and software and see how it goes.

If you are niche then you’ll have to rip a fair few CDs, but just do it as you want to listen to it.

3 Likes

Is there a particular reason you feel the need to go streaming / digital Mike ? I use vinyl / CD / Spotify / downloaded & ripped files and that covers 99.9% of the music I want to play.

1 Like

Space, cost of the media, convenience primarily Al. I predominantly (80 - 85%) use vinyl, the other 15 - 20% split in favour of CD.

Just fancy the idea of a half decent streamer into Amp / speaks rather than TT, RCM, CDP, DAC, Vinyl, CD’s, Amp, speaks, all in a room the size of a downstairs toilet ! Not buying LP’s would save a fair bit of money too.

So far, I’ve always bottled it at the last minute :confused: We’ll see.

Your membership will need resusitating if you try digging up three year old threads again… :confused:

Why ? You do it all the time with jokes.

14 Likes

Maybe something along the lines of the Quad Artera ?

Was thinking more

2 Likes

I am still considering one of those. The screen is pretty pointless though given the Cambridge Connect app.