Strayan Beer Memoirs (or any alcoholic reminiscing)

When we arrived in the UK and started working in boozers, our first pub had Bass on draught. It was a fabulous pint (once I got used to English style ales).

2 Likes

In the mid 1980’s there were no part-time jobs to be had so we would go to London and live mob handed in a student sub-let. I can remember one evening 6 of us taking a new arrival to the pub. The order was 6 pints of bitter (for us) and a pint of Guinness for the newbie. Second round was 7 pints of bitter. Guinness brewed in Woolwich was not great at all and was often given an all-at-once pour. Things are much, much better now (or they were when I last went drinking).

1 Like

I learnt how to pour a proper pint of Guinness very quickly. There were plenty of building sites where we were, so had plenty of Oirish workers as customers.
In our first year here, we went to the Republic, drink gallons of the stuff, and I have not had a pint of Guinness anywhere else since.

2 Likes

Strictly NO SHAMROCKS !!!

1 Like

:rage:

On a football jersey; yes. On a pint; NO!

Didn’t happen to work at The Kings Head did you Terry?

I have worked in “A” Kings Head. Which one did you have in mind Dave ?

When I was growing up, the best regular option for a local pint was Boddies which says something. Mostly about the state of the competition in Tetley and Greenalls.

Earls Court! The landlord coined it ‘Kangaroo Valley’

No. Drank in there a few times but never worked there. We did work in the White Horse in Richmond though :+1:

I used to drink there Sunday’s in the 60’s.

We were there in the early 90s.

Nice Pub.

1 Like

We had some great times there.

1 Like

Without me doing the research, can anyone explain why I can buy perfectly serviceable Australian Shiraz and Merlot from Lidl for about £4 a bottle? How are they making and getting it here so cheaply? I’m not complaining, just curious.

They buy in bulk. It is sold by the wineries very cheaply because they can only bottle so much themselves (they’ve calculated the profit points) without wastage. Remember wine lakes ?.
It’s shipped over in huge containers and bottled it here. Birmingham I believe.

Everybody wins

1 Like

My early memories of drinking in Ireland, Guinness, Harp and Smithwicks were the only options.

I guessed they couldn’t be shipping that much glass around but that’s interesting to know.

25,000 ltr flexitank

LOL, Black Tower and LSD :woozy_face: