Talk at me about SUTs

Maybe this?

1 Like

Soooo… I’ve lived with the Puresound T10 for a couple of weeks, and then, thanks to the kindness of @gthang I’ve had some time with his beautifully built Hashimoto-based SUT - which was a tangible step up (as it should be at the price), most obviously in terms of vocal intelligibility.

But this also prompted a return to the Lehmann Silver Cube alone - restored to its LOMC / 47K setting…

…aaaand the result of that was a much more blindingly obvious improvement in all areas :open_mouth:

As perhaps there should be - removing an extra length of cable, several connectors, many metres of magnet wire etc. and reverting back to a £3,000 phono stage painstakingly designed to offer LOTS of gain, silently really should work that way…

Adding-in the SUTs definitely did something in terms of reshaping the system’s overall sonic signature - and not just subtractively - and, as we humans tend to, I enjoyed the change for a while. But it was getting one particular LP (Mop Mop’s Isle of Magic), and its obvious and large replay inferiority to @Jim’s system prompted me to wonder if I’d taken a step in the wrong direction.

Seems I had.

Downside is: no new toys; upside is: that’s just as bloody well, cos there’s no cash in the bank now!

Thanks to everyone for your input :+1:

1 Like

Which cables were you using with it?

Donkey-cock Viablue stuff :+1:

It’s not BHB, but you could still moor the QE2 with it… :crazy_face:

So, is the new unit to quantify a cable’s quality the Donkey-cock?

Do you sell viablue?

Insert obligatory sodders “selling” joke

Because if a joke is worth doing it’s worth doing to death.

3 Likes

http://www.evoaudio.uk/

Oh yes - size is everything :+1:

Aye.

Good lad - proper Slaughterman :ok_hand:

Obvious troll is obvious :wink:

Cables are EVERYTHING - any fule kno that! :bitchslap:

@Jim uses a SUT iirc =》 the right answer is actually to spend mahoosively more on a SUT and then commission a BTJ9002.

1 Like

Do they come with tasting notes? :heart_eyes:

My entire system cost me less than Jim’s new phono stage, and I would not expect it to sound as good - nothing else I’ve heard does - but the gulf was bigger than I could get my head around.
I offered up my recent experience 'cos I found it interesting that changing a component could simultaneously give an enjoyable change to performance while also somewhat degrading performance - an example where enjoyment and quasi-objective expectation didn’t necessarily coincide.
I’ve often watched people make “upgrades” that I knew were “sidegrades”, but not always been so clear when I’ve done it myself. It can take a while to get your head around what difference a kit change has really made, and I speak as someone prone to snap decisions… :thinking:

Now there’s an idea…

Review: Donkey Cock CablesTM - these cables taste like…”

Heh, its always easier to fool yourself when you’re making changes - you hear a difference and for a while that can get confused with actual improvement. We’ve all been there - you change things back and then the improvement either disappears or wasn’t what you thought it was.

Apart from Jim’s system, that’s the exception where every change he’s made is an absolute and unequivocal real improvement :grinning:

1 Like

Word :ok_hand:

Really? The rrp for your new speakers isn’t far short of what I paid for the cocostage and the rest of your setup isn’t exactly cheap. Doesn’t seem right…

Not sure if this is a pisstake or not :thinking: There was a time I believed most of what I read and what dealers told me - hence the muscle amp and watt/puppy set up I had when I first started looking at HIFI forums :roll_eyes: But since getting to know the folk on here and the other place, I’ve been educated! :+1:

2 Likes

Dealer margins are Yuuugeee, just ask @ICHM

2 Likes

Margins are actually good on the Hecos and Puresound kit, and was on the Pro-ject, Ortofon and Lehmann when I sold that stuff.
I’m using the A30 as my main amp at the mo since I tweaked it, so that I’m not putting too many hours on the pre/power.

I may have got the wrong end of the stick on what the BTJ cost mind, but I’m guessing no-one wants to advertise numbers on here!

Oh, and bear in mind I’m VAT registered…

I think that your system has gone through some interesting stages. The muscle amp plus Wilson combo was great, although not really my cup of tea. As it morphed from that to a very different type of system there were times when it really gelled, and times that it didn’t so much. Once you got the current speakers though it’s been nothing but up and up, they are superb and very revealing, clearly!

4 Likes