The art of lying (better known as discogs)

Nothing a bit of t-cut won’t fix

90 percent of them, and discogs dont care.

2 Likes

Yeah I noted in discogs T’s and C’s that they say “if there’s an issue, speak to your card provider”. They’re clearly not interested in having anything to do with the transaction whatsoever. I think this puts an end to me buying any second hand vinyl that I can get my eyes on before i buy it.

Even a few i bought of PFM recently and much poorer than the seller let on.

I have up with the place when living room dealer type sellers were trying to fob off modern pressings as first press,. One even told me that the cover had the date of the record’s release on it…yup, they are truly that thick.

Paypal was a blessing when it came to returns.

Don’t be too hasty David. Over the years, I’ve bought 86 records from discogs and only on one occasion have I had reason to return a record to the seller. On another occasion. I was offered a decent discount due to a NM graded record having a visible scratch that clicked a few times. Other than that I’ve found the grading has been fine.

The guy to whom I returned the record was an utter cock. Despite me returning it in his own shitty mailer, he claimed it had been damaged in transit and refused to refund me. He wanted to keep my money, the record and for good measure refused to refund the postage in either direction. No fucking chance. Paypal came to my rescue eventually after initially refusing my claim.

3 Likes

As they probably will, they always go after the easy targets.
Meanwhile they do fuck all when it is a bit more difficult

All they would need is a little software inc automated demand mail out.

Well they have a contract with Fujitsu so I am sure that will work fine, they have loads of experience of screwing the little man

2 Likes

As a piece of art goes this is a bargain, excellent seller too.

I think this is a good question. Should HMRC choose, it will (as others have said) be easy, because we lack something blindingly-obvious which other forums do, which is to have a minimum post count before access to sales areas. This would make it much more difficult for snooping taxweasels, and also protect the rest of us from scammers. It also deters the cynical cunts who just flytip their unwanted stuff for sale without contributing anything - content or donations - to the forum.

6 Likes

No, forums aren’t selling/commerce platforms.

If I advertise an amp on here, pfm, wam, AoS, AVforums etc how would HMRC know where or even if it was sold.

PayPal is one trail. It would be equally possible for HMRC to note anything marked ‘sold’. I can’t see this being an £ssue however.

HMRC would be far too busy with Ebay, Facebook Marketplace, Craigs List, Vinted, Depop, Schpok, Etsy, Gumtree etc to bother about obscure forums with minimal traffic.
Unless someone has been dobbed in of course.

If I marked it as sold on here, pfm and AoS etc how would they know how much it actually sold for or where it was actually sold.

I see no way of them being able to track it.

I would say that forums have zero to worry about.

1 Like

As I said, I agree. I guess a lot of people are sitting around waiting to see what occurs in the next few months. Should it become apparent an algorithm and automated demands bare significant fruit for HMRC it wouldn’t surprise me if they then looked towards other ‘loopholes’.

Facebook market place being an obvious one that may well surge short term, like forums (Unlike eBay etc) It’s less clear if a transaction actually took place just an ad and some messages (No linked form of payment trail) The rumors of AI involvement have started on this though, mostly tin foil hat.
I can see it wouldn’t be difficult to automate a demand for all sales records to be made available from any forum owner with a site featuring a for sale component, this of course hasn’t happened…

Since Financial Institution Notices came into being a few years ago, HMRC no longer has to seek an individual or tribunal’s permission to examine bank accounts. It’s still an investigatory measure at present, but it’s a step towards automatic auditing of personal income, and means if they’re taking an interest in your affairs they don’t necessarily have to have information from sales platforms to become aware of untaxed income sources.

1 Like

They’re going to be livid when they find out about car boot sales.

9 Likes

Its such madness really, because as we all know, what they’re not taking into account is, that I’m likely to have paid tax already on the original purchase of things that I then go on to sell second hand. I then most likely lose money on the original purchase price, and go on to purchase something else, on which I am taxed.

Taxing me, on the sale price, which is in fact a deficit of income is nonsensical. It wouldn’t take much of an accountant to laugh in their face and actually in turn, write off my loses against my other taxable income.

They stand to put themselves through a lot of pain if they start doing this to too many people. It won’t go as well as they think it will!

Surely the main aim of the scheme is to target business sellers who buy at wholesale prices and sell at retail. As you say, it would be absurd to tax people who are selling off their surplus personal property at a loss.

1 Like

Agreed, but the wording suggests they are under the impression that all eBay sales represent profit.

Which is nonsensical! I probably lose thousands a year for flipping hifi. Inland revenue should be thanking me for pumping this money into the economy, not trying to fuck me by taxing what little I make.

This will hurt second hand sales, which in turn wil
Hurt new sales. They’re basically going to destroy various industry segments due to incredible short sightedness!

1 Like