The Boys' Own Book of Aeroplanes

Brilliant once in a lifetime bucket list stuff
Operating from Headcorn or North Weald

1 Like

Common as muck then.
I expect they argue about which one is more spitfire-ish!

The first time I saw them flying over the South Downs it was quite mesmerising, now I see them most weeks!

Every day here. Usually 2 or 3 times. May be common as muck, but THAT sound :grin::hugs:

Always reminds me of the start of the Pink Floyd gig at Knebworth 1975

In my memory three (it might have been one) spitfires flew low over the stage and over the crowd.
While everyone was looking at them and turned away from the stage the band came on.

1 Like

I think the spitfire pilot at that gig was the late great Ray Hanna

3 Likes

Thats not flying in a Spit. That’s flying in a plane near a Spit. flying in a Spit is from £2750.

I looked into this about 3 or 4 years ago as a potential 50th prezzie and I’m sure it was only about £800, but if you wanted chase plane photos & video it was about £1200.

I know, I did look at the pages I linked to.
Where did I mention price?

The page you linked to mentions the price. I was just being a pedantic twat.

1 Like

Supposedly some discussion behind the scenes of worst-case scenario of scrapping - rumours suggest funding is non-existent with donations drying-up since she stopped flying/COVID/CoL-crisis &c. Probably scaremongering to drum-up interest and funds (hopefully). Certainly not the slightest chance of a ferry flight, sadly, and dismantling is certainly time-consuming and expensive…

TIL that an old friend had a ride in a Spitfire at Farnborough last month.

The price? That’ll be £5,000 to you Sir :grimacing:

I guess if you’re a lifelong aviation nut and you’ve got the wherewithal …

1 Like

Haha - and now I scroll up and see that flying Spitfires was exactly what was being discussed.

Families day at the office. Flying program decimated by the only day of shit weather in months. No Red Arrows, Typhoon etc.

Phwoaar

Ex Black Arrows

10 Likes

Great pics! There are very few jets as purposeful and menacing looking as a Phantom, and that Hunter is a beautiful thing, particularly the single-seater :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Two big engines strapped to a series of aerodynamic sticking plasters.

4 Likes

When they take off loaded, they have to be refueled straight away, just so they can fly long enough, to complete a mission.

1 Like

I used to be like that many years ago :roll_eyes::grin:

1 Like
2 Likes

https://www.aircraftrestorationcompany.com/buchon
Tl;dr: Bf109 with a Merlin engine

What were these things, ram jets? Assume there was some control over them and they weren’t just light blue touch paper and pray modus operandi.

They’re solid rockets so fire and forget. The downward firing ones are supposed to reduce vertical speed, while the front firings ones slow it down.