The Night Sky

Fireball over Scotland and NI was likely ‘space junk’ from Elon Musk satellite, say astronomers | Space | The Guardian

1 Like

Scotland my arse, I was looking south at it and I’m in Cumbria.:grin:

Apart from that it would explain the different colours as different elements went up in smoke.

More The Day Sky but keeping my fingers crossed for a clear day (highly unlikely if the forecast is to be believed)

3 Likes

Stunning!

17 Likes

5 light years across!!!

6 Likes

4 Likes

Which is 6500 light years away, yet still in a nearby arm of our galaxy Sagittarius).

1 Like

Got to see plenty of meteors on tonights shift. The first one is always an WTF moment.

5 Likes

Dog out at 10.30, half a dozen in less than 10 mins a couple of which were spectacular

1 Like

Geminids shower. Two days when I’m pretty much guaranteed to see nothing! Spent around 20 minutes skywatching last night and the night before - saw two.

Only coincidence, but if the sky stays clear, then I’ll invariably see more in the coming week…

The Kepler System just keeps giving - two super-Earth water worlds detected, albeit with very different conditions to our own: Astronomers find that two exoplanets may be mostly water

It’s always worth bearing-in-mind with findings like these, that while they’re inimical to life as it’s developed on Earth, such systems may still be better places for life to evolve…

Bugger. That means they’ll have a head start on us !

1 Like

A survivor system from the early Universe (very unlikely, I know) could have had a 10 billion year head start…

…most of it probably spent arguing about whether cables make a difference or not…

4 Likes

Although it depends when the first novae happened for the heavy elements.

All the planets visible tonight. Mercury and venus low down and will need dark skies. The next three easily seen, with uranus and Neptune needing bins.

Lots of guides available, but now is a good time to look.

1 Like

Moon and Jupiter practically holding hands when I looked out earlier :star_struck:

What is the best sky app to use on an android phone?

I think Stellarium is pretty good.

2 Likes

It gets better, it was a wandering planet, changing its orbit over billions of years, without this property, earth would not exist in the orbit we find ourselves in, which happens to be the perfect orbit for complex life. In its current orbit, Jupiter prevents most large objects heading out way, but let’s just enough through to act as agents for evolutionary change. We really are quite rare.

1 Like