The Night Sky

I’d been sticking blue Smarties up my bum that day…

Pic largely unrelated.

2 Likes

So pleased that Twitter is now adding context to some tweets otherwise this could have ruined my week :roll_eyes:

edit for the benefit of those who haven’t a Twitter account - here’s the context

2 Likes

Third finger, left hand has the same cash drainage potential.

2 Likes

Never mind its size issues - what the hell does a black hole run away from! :open_mouth:

Insert “yo mama” joke here.

Spectacular aurorae last night - by the time I heard about it, it was well-past peak activity, sadly, but some of the pics emerging are spectacular; Scotland you’d expect, but this is the North Norfolk coast!

[Gary Pearson Photography]

12 Likes

Yeah, I was checking every half hour but cloud buggered it up. You could see evidence of it through the cloud but nothing worth photographing.

On Unst though…

Credit - K. Bryant.

10 Likes

Supposed to remain pretty intense for the next couple of nights.
Needless to say, while the weather here was perfect LAST night, the forecast is for heavy cloud cover for the whole next week!

Space weather: Aurora - 30 Minute Forecast | NOAA / NWS Space Weather Prediction Center

1 Like

Reckon I might drive out to the Mendips tonight if the skies are clear

1 Like

Forecasts here are predicting 100% cloud cover until Wednesday when it should be a clear night.

Forecasts are notoriously unreliable here.

1 Like

Fingers crossed.

Times like this I wish I had a decent camera… Then I look at the cost…

May try up on the moor if it seems clear enough.

It was visible even in Cornwall apparently.

Hell in a handcart I tell ya :grinning:

5 Likes

Shimmy up the tv mast, jobs a goodun.

Anyone know the best time(s).

Just says tonight in most places!

That’s the best you’re gonna get. Actual timing can’t be predicted.

1 Like

According to aurora forecast should be around 21:00-22:00. If only these clouds would bugger off.

1 Like

Thinking about it, Bristol lies in between the Mendips and the northern sky so might have to drive north instead.

That’s last night. The NOAA app has a 30-60 minute look-forward time - so rn it’s showing strong activity for half-six:

Do all bear in mind that photos make it look more vivid than it usually appears IRL - worth grabbing your cameras / phones.

2 Likes

To my surprise, the sky cleared, less surprising, supposed peak time is a bit of a no-show here:

1 Like

About as reliable as a 20 year old Fiat.