The Night Sky

Presumably the Matterhorn?

Is that a meteorite behind the right face?

Yes more info here Paul

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap190124.html

Some stunning photographs on the TWAN website

4 Likes

That TWAN website looks great. Thanks for that.

I must look into getting a telescope.

2 Likes

:rofl:

2 Likes

I’ll let you know how I get on with mine :+1:

1 Like

There’s loads of advice for beginners out there. Here’s a piece that a mate (and neighbour, and work colleague of some 25 years - all round good bloke) wrote for the local astronomy soc http://newburyastro.org.uk/telescope-advice.html.

VB

1 Like

Looks like a lot of sensible advice there. I’ll do some research on what’s available and what it is likely to cost me.

I bought this. It has lots of advice on starting out. Actually, it recommends you spend time observing and learning the sky by eye, then binoculars, and only then telescope. (I am jumping straight to telescope :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: )

2 Likes

Think of the size you need then double it :slight_smile:

If you don’t want to do astrophotography a dobsonian is my suggestion.

Goto/guidance is nice.

" Explanation: Craters produced by ancient impacts on the airless Moon have long been a familiar sight. But only since the 1990s have observers began to regularly record and study optical flashes on the lunar surface, likely explosions resulting from impacting meteoroids. Of course, the flashes are difficult to see against a bright, sunlit lunar surface. But during the January 21 total eclipse many imagers serendipitously captured a meteoroid impact flash against the dim red Moon. Found while examining images taken shortly before the total eclipse phase began, the flash is indicated in the inset above, near the Moon’s darkened western limb. Estimates based on the flash duration recorded by the Moon Impact Detection and Analysis System (MIDAS) telescopes in southern Spain indicate the impactor’s mass was about 10 kilograms and created a crater between seven and ten meters in diameter."

4 Likes

Incredible 30-image panorama taken by Nicholas Beur from Laguna Cejar in Salar De Atacama, Chile in October

6 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

Mrs JB’s birthday soon and she has mentioned a few times that she would like a telescope. I have been looking but am now even more confused by the bewildering array of types and prices. Does anyone have any tips/recommendations as to what would be suitable? I wouldn’t mind pre-owned.

Budget?

What’s your light pollution like?

My mate Chris wrote this

He’s a sensible and very competent guy. I’d trust his advice, although it is aimed at a certain type of person.

VB

3 Likes

Well, we’re on the outskirts of the city, so probably not great.

Depends on budget but something like:

Goto, compact, great for the planets/moon. Should still pick up brighter nebulars/clusters.

1 Like

You can get bigger aperture versions for not that much more. I think these are rated highly for beginners by Sky at Night etc… I saw Saturn’s rings and (faint) bands on Jupiter from within the city (dark park) with a 70mm refractor. They are very quick to set up. Minutes before you’re looking at something.

Just looking at the moon from our window was mindblowing the first time :smiley:

This and the Collins guide for the year are worth getting

1 Like

Skywatcher are great value.