The shit that doesn't merit its own thread (the resurrection)

Looks like the same shorts too - hope they had a wash in between :grimacing:

Itā€™s one of my holibobs shirts. Loppers was a mini holibob.

2 Likes

You have dedicated holidaying shirts?

Different shorts. The new ones are a fetching urban camo pattern.

Donā€™t you?

Naturellement.

No, I mostly have a motley collection of rag tag clothes that I try and jam into some sort of receptacle.

1 Like

How can they be rag tag - you must have bought a complete new wardrobe in the last year with the weight youā€™ve shifted? :thinking:

You need a nice Hawaiian shirt :slight_smile:

Now thereā€™s an oxymoron if ever I heard one.

2 Likes

It distracts attention from the face, which lets face it, you could do with.

1 Like

in my quest for a definition of the word hollibob I came a across this.

1 Like

Need to build one of theseā€¦

Iā€™m not sure about that. If you fancy having it just because it ā€˜isā€™ a NASA Rover then yes, thatā€™s exactly what you need. But quite a few of the factors which drove it to be the way it is donā€™t really apply down here. From a hardware point of view it had to be i) light, ii) suited to a thin but sometimes dusty atmosphere, iii) suited to much less gravity than here, iv) suited to a much lower average temperature with a much larger diurnal range, v) capable of surviving a drop from a great height, albeit in lower gravity (the last one was crane-landed though, I think), vi) very unlikely to fail, even if that meant accepting limits on what it could do, vii) still capable of doing quite a lot even if some bits of it did fail. It also didnā€™t need to concern itself at all with being rained on or corroding in a damp atmosphere.

VB

Thatā€™s a very big dildo.

1 Like
1 Like

I notice they used the slightly slower Boeing rather than the Astra. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Christ, can you imagine the computational horsepower that would require? Would probably require an actual Astra engine attached to a turbine to generate enough energy to just power the modelling system.

Modelling sytems which are prone to turbulence tends to be extremely computationally demanding. Itā€™s hard to imagine a system more prone to turbulence than the airflow behind aircraft landing gear. I was surprised to read, in the NASA paper which the video is linked to, that the undercarriage is the major source of airframe noise (as opposed to engine noise, I guess) during take-off and landing. So the properties of that flow actually matter in the real world.

Somewhat more abstract is the issue of how a heavier fluid e.g. water might ā€˜fallā€™ into a lighter one e.g. oil if we could somehow arrange to start with the heavier fluid on top and the boundary between them shaped in some (mathematically) simple way. Hereā€™s what the computer says will happen for a light (white) fluid with a heavy (black) one on top

VB

I just think itā€™s kind of fun. No need to over analyse.