The Wonderful World of Turntable Design AKA: Dave's Fugly World Of TT Wank

It’s one of the few channels that the Wife and I watch together, we both really enjoy his content!

1 Like

Yep, same here, although we also watch 2 or 3 channels by running YTers.

1 Like

He is, I picked some up in Nov :+1:

2 Likes

Will have a look at his channel, he’s a really decent and honest guy, I bought one of his first LP12 plinths about 12 years ago, a really nice Indian rosewood for £160

Have still got one of them here that I keep meaning to use for a 45 amp, just need to sum up the courage to buy some finemet transformers :scream:

Talking of which @sjs you mentioned a good place that laser cut top plates a while ago, can you remember the name of them?

Get the Nano-X core jobs from Monolith, same core

v good for stainless or aluminium, minimum order was about £80

They helped make this LP12 makover:

I also had them make a couple of preamp cases in stainless, sounds V different from aluminium or copper

9 Likes

Simon, regards our previous discussions, something like that 6B4G or 45 would be perfect, perhaps with copper top!
Is that a 211 or 845?

don’t mention polished copper you’ll scare him off these days :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That is 845, it is a Music Angel 845 amp the client wanted re-housed into an LP12 plinth. I redesigned the input/driver stage and the 845 filament supplies now use Rod Coleman regs. It sounds remarkably good but you can fry eggs on the whole thing as it really isnt big enough for all the stuff inside

The LP12 wasn’t a great place to start tbh, the 4 corner strengthening triangles needed to be cut away, and the top plate support doesn’t run around the right side where the arm board normally sits, so one had to be added. Some means of securing the top plate needed to be devised, and then the plinth isnt very tall…

1 Like

Yeah, my plan is to use some tall feet and no bottom plate so stuff can hang a bit lower (phnar phnar)

Not really about turntables but I didn’t really want to start a new thread.
This dropped into my inbox today.
How to write a review and not say very much at all

Read that earlier. Utter tripe.

2 Likes

https://audioxpress.com/news/nagra-announces-its-first-ever-reference-mc-phono-cartridge

1 Like

I expected it to retail at the (almost obligatory) £12k but no, I forgot about the additional £4k Nagra supplement

:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Thought my review of it back in the Wigwam days was better!

EDIT.Surprised to see it can still be found.

11 Likes

I’ve been back to that numerous times :grinning:

2 Likes

It is a most excellent review.

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should

:face_exhaling:

1 Like

One of the plebs on the roon forum has one of those and I got suspended for taking the piss and laughing at him.

He was arguing that it is actually a better design than having the platter horizontal :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

1 Like

Cartridge set up must be a hoot.

1 Like

Plus lots of