The Wonderful World of Turntable Design AKA: Dave's Fugly World Of TT Wank

Rabco?

Similar to BBC but ITN ‘adapted’ units.

1 Like

Some reasonably recent CADof the deck I am working on. This is only the upper section of the plinth and the the holes in the corners are where the suspension elements are going.

4 Likes

Assume it’s a suspended design? Are you using a magnetic bearing?

I think you mentioned you were designing an arm as well?

What are the materials used? Platter, plinth etc

Yes, suspended design and magnetic bearing (latest version). It’s not a radical departure from my previous design, more a large scale development.

The chassis is laminated carbon fibre and a constrained layer construct. The platter is graphite. The plinth is largely a stone/acrylic mix - again laminated to create a constrained layer construct. A.C. motor, high drag bearing, sophisticated electronic motor control.

4 Likes

Nice!

Are you laiminating the CF with anything else? Or is it just layers in a constrained damping arrangement?

What made you choose graphite for the platter? (over e.g. POM or such)

Hmm… difficult to explain - the overall construct is two layers that are themselves laminated from carbon fibre skins surrounding aramid fibre honeycomb. The two layers of laminate are then bonded into a constrained structure. Am currently waiting for a blooming router cutter to be delivered so I can get on with it.

1 Like

Nice horn loaded TT.

Now where have I seen that before?

1920s?

1 Like

Hmm, Kickstarter turntable projects. Not exactly renowned for being a roaring success, generally!

imagehttp://image1.shopserve.jp/analog.ev.shopserve.jp/pic-labo/zootcommunication_analogrelax_ar-mcc-koioto-sl1_1.jpg?t=20180707172727

Zoot Communications Koioto-SL Cartridge. Nice.

1 Like

Not a looker is it?

1 Like

Like a three wood…

4 Likes

Can you get carving on the side to make it more interesting?

1 Like

Get your router out Bob. What could possibly go wrong?

1 Like

I think some nice go faster stripes :+1:

You could glue some faux diamonds to it or maybe a small Beatle.

I couldn’t be arsed to be honest. I would want to listen to it not look at it. Maybe I might get @J_B to give it a light sanding. I’m told he has the delicate touch around chrome bathroom fittings and cartridges.

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like