The Wonderful World of Turntable Design AKA: Dave's Fugly World Of TT Wank

I’m sure I’ve been at a show where there were some but I can’t recall hearing them. For a while Yamamura was in cahoots with some minor nobility (member of the Churchill family) and was trading out of Wardour Castle in Wiltshire and I think they were making & selling a version of these speakers from there.

I was contacted by someone 3 or 4 years ago who was trying to write a biography of Yamamura & seek out some of his more ‘out there’ creations. I was also sent pictures by Peter from Deco of some bits that a Be customer was chopping into the shop. A mad looking unipivot arm with ceramic tube, a Melco a-like heavyweight turntable he’d made and some fairly extreme speaker components. I may still have the pics somewhere. I’ll have a look. Yamamura turned up at Munich in 2016 if memory serves with some very large horns on static display using the larger Ale compression drivers.

5 Likes

It’s airways struck me as odd to have the thin part of the horn going through the wider part - surely an offset or very slight twist would make building and machining so much easier! Was it for structural integrity, or sound, do we think?

One of Be’s bespoke TT’s. I think this one had an air bearing. Note the very long ceramic armtubed unipivot.

Another one (this time with a Graham).

If thats a 12" LP it’s a substantial platter.

Remnants of the unipivot end of the ceramic arm as inherited by Deco.

2 Likes

Bloody hell, the arm in that first pic looks mental

Speaking of air bearings, done any more with yours?

40 posts were split to a new topic: Reel 2 Reel

jesus that’s hideous.

5 Likes

Laugh or barf?

Blarf?

Barf

No question!

I suspect Narelle would quite like that…if it came in a different colour :dancer:t3:

Utter wank.

1 Like

Do they do one that says

off ?

VB

1 Like

I suggest breaking it up with a rusty hammer and blunt chisel. The pieces could be effectively buried in a cess pit.

Other remedies for fugly are available.

1 Like

:face_vomiting:

Have you listened to it? Might be the best sounding t/t in the World. :nerd_face:

I think the designer found his muse whilst frying bacon.

2 Likes

Hilton Sound. Never heard of it.

2 Likes

Hmmmmmm…fugly, especially the headshell :unamused:

It’s not too bad compared to Dave’s previous offerings but that headshell :tickets: