Tidal

Just pulling your leg mate :grinning:

1 Like

Slow day at the megastore forum? :laughing:

Good to see you on here in your size 25 high heels, stamping about, you should post more often.

ā€˜LP is bestā€™ is the consensus on here; streaming vs CD? Depends on your set up Iā€™d say. Iā€™d heard some streamers which playing lossless I really donā€™t think youā€™d pick out in a blind test vs CD through the same DAC, which was which. Online streaming is a different kettle of fish - Iā€™ve found Tidal the best SQ but YMMV.

1 Like

I think my choice of Sonos might be holding back my streaming replay. Even streaming FLACs itā€™s simply no match for my CD player (Leema Antilla).

IanS1 used a Sonos with a DIY Paul Hynes linear PSU which definitely upped the performance of it.

The Modwright Transport which is a pimped Slim Devices streamer is pretty sweet, or the Auralic Aries with PSU. Since going this way myself a while back Iā€™ve not had much use for a CD player for about 5-6 years. If I want to play a CD, or more likely SACD or DVD-A then I have an Oppo with digital out to my DAC. Otherwise I have the OTT and obviously overpriced Aurender N100H for streaming ones and zeros.

1 Like

I use a Simaudio Moon MiND 180 renderer which means that I can mix and match with DACs. The app is pretty good (and IMHO a streaming device is worthless unless the app is top quality) and it will stream most things that are easy to get your hands on (e.g. it doesnā€™t do DSD or MQA). It has seen off some very expensive kit but is likely to be replaced with an Auralic device when their new range gets released later in the year.

The Sonos is a mass market product, so you would not expect it to compete with an audiophile CD player (unless you subscribe to the ā€œall CD players sound the sameā€ ethos). You can either choose to improve your streaming solution, or you can continue to fail to troll effectively :blush:

5 Likes

I mostly agree with @FatCuntTroller on this one. Iā€™ve yet to come across anything that produces noughts and ones that will better the sq of my Nagra,

Itā€™s been compared to many digital sources at bakes over the years and most whoā€™ve heard it have agreed. It might have a shit remote but sound quality wise, thereā€™s little to touch it.

1 Like

Yep, that Nagra would be the first thing in the boot of my car if I burgled your gaff. :wink:

2 Likes

Itā€™s probably the only thing youā€™d get in the boot of your car, unless you had 3 assistants and a sack barrow with you :laughing:

2 Likes

I bet the Nagra DAC on the end of Tidal would be similar. Optical disks have had their day - theyā€™re just unreliable and clunky digital audio file transport mechanisms.

ā€˜My CD player sounds better than my streamingā€™ means your streaming setup has issues, rather than anything fundamental. The data is the same when using full rate files.

10 Likes

We really need to know once and for all.

I know, you could spend all day conducting double blinds testā€™s at Jims bakeoff instead of cooking and eating all that meat.:roll_eyes:

1 Like

are

2 Likes

Once and for all,Iā€™d like to see a proper all weekend test cd v streaming at a bake off

Sadly I canā€™t attend that weekend

5 Likes

Ackchurley, it is a bit fundamental - I donā€™t have streaming :rofl:

No. Data can be used as a singular mass noun.

Lol, Thatā€™s two grammar fails in less than a week. Iā€™d give up. :joy:

I dunno, lots of people complain their eyes are streaming after youā€™ve consumed pork and converted it.

4 Likes

A mono speaker can be used in a stereo system. Doesnā€™t make it right :blush:

2 Likes

I have some straws if you need something to clutch at. :yum:

2 Likes

Assuming you could move the seat back far enough.

4 Likes

some things? :smiley:

2 Likes