Tidal

At least I can sort my music :relaxed:

2 Likes

I’m sure they’ll sound lovely through the power brownouts.

1 Like

Strangely the only time I experienced those in the last 40 years was in France, twice in a week and also in the USA.

1 Like

I have now dumped Tidal, and moved to Qobuz. First impressions:

• I’m so glad not to have J fucking Z rammed down my throat
  • Tidal always had issues with J River WDM. Basically Tidal sometimes didn’t start the track playback correctly, so the WDM driver didn’t start. It was irritating, but restarting the track would sort it. Qobuz has more control of how you play, so I can just play ASIO to J River and it’s perfect.
  • The transfer of playlists is annoying. Even paying for Soundiiz, the albums have come across but not the playlists, even though it thinks it’s got it right.
  • A couple of my favourite albums are not on Qobuz, so I may have to buy the CD and rip them in :scream:
  • The interface is way better that Tidal, but still not as good as Spotify, I think.
  • One huge advantage for classical listening is that it shows the record label by default. That’s really handy.
  • There’s no high res stuff unless you pay £350 per year, so fuck that.

I’m not regretting this at all so far. Will see how it works mobile later, probably, although the latest update seems to have fucked my phone, thanks Google.

1 Like

6 months free:
https://go.tidal.com/gb/reg/GB2001/gb061lXmiaSBlL179/PREMIUM

Or 3 months if you want lossless

2 Likes

So as I am going to be at home for the 12 weeks I ditched Spotify premium and got a 60 day free Tidal subscription.
So far I have just used the link on the Cambridge Audio app on my phone and connected to my CA 851N streamer.

Anything else I need to know?

Should have gone for Qobuz

Not for Kev’s tastes. Way too much missing from their library.

2 Likes

The TIDAL phone app is much better than Qobuz. I’m very M’eh about the MQA thing, but TIDAL is superior to Qobuz IME at the moment in terms of usability and library.

Tidal is superb as long as the control app is good.

Just went out for an hour and a half walk (will post about that elsewhere)
First impressions

1. Tidal on my phone worked well
  2. It seemed to hammer the battery, but I was taking a few photos
  3. USBC to Phono adaptors for IEMs are shit

One good thing about TIDAL is that you can d/l stuff to your phone and then listen to it later. I bought a 256 Gig iPhone with this and photos in mind. Loading up the phone at home will extend the battery useful time.

3 Likes

I think I am sold.
I have been playing quite a bit of stuff through Tidal today.
Very engaging

3 Likes

OK, Tidal are really starting to fuck me off.

There’s an increasing number of albums being released that are only being put up in MQA format. Worse than that, it looks like could be removing the FLAC version of existing titles where there’s MQA.

For example, if you have Roon look at the Space Oddity album. There’s 5 versions on Tidal and all of them are MQA.

:poop: :poop:

I remember you saying you have a yuge number of albums saved in it which makes changing difficult but would Soundiiz be able to give you a dashboard to migrate to Qobuz?

Qobuz’ library is pretty terrible for me. There’s a lot of indie releases they just don’t have.

I’ll take another look.

I confess, I don’t pay much attention as I have both running in Roon so don’t check where the sound comes from so long as it comes.

1 Like

Can’t say I understand what MQA is or does but I always pick the MQA version even though my Dac is 20 years old and strictly 44.1/16.
The Auraluc app has a specific section for MQA and lets you decide how it’s handled,

I packed in migrating to Qobuz largely because a lot of the unlistenable shite in my TIDAL collections weren’t in the Qobuz library at all. I had planned to use the likes of Soundiiz to help me migrate.