Toilet flushing mech broken - Advice please

Auto correct did me there.

Oh, and be prepared to become detached from the skin on your knuckles as you try to free the wing nuts underneath :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And I thought that the state of your knuckles was due to dragging them on the ground as you perambulated.:smile:

That’s got to be a euphemism…:wink:

1 Like

I ordered bits including a donut washer and fitted it all -
Unfortunately the donut washer was a lot harder rubber and a little larger that the prior well corroded one.
As result I am having snags - It leaks and will need to find a squishier washer.

Oh and the threads are all plastic and the on off valve does not seal closed I will have to take real care not to make things worse.

Sometimes these simple jobs are a RPITA

3 Likes

You’re thinking of clag nuts, and if yours are so tight you’re skinning your knuckles to remove them, then you need professional medical help.

Take a dump on your (least favourite) neighbours lawn.

1 Like

I did the same fix not so long ago. Replaced an old syphon with a split diaphragm with a two-part Dudley syphon. It’s worth the effort of separating the cistern from the pedestal to know when the diaphragm needs replacing again it’s only going to take ten minutes.

It took me two attempts to get the right size coupling (doughnut) washer. Partridges were helpful with parts.

Think you’ll find that’s called “ordering the wrong bit”.

3 Likes

I’ve replaced 2 of these fucking things and both times they were a bastard to do, drips, leaks, bits not quite fitting, finding the right connectors and such.
I ended up having to pretty much stand on the top of the cistern to squash the donut enough to prevent leakage while the wife screwed it into the wall, on the last one I did.
The thing is though, knowing I can do it myself makes spending money to get someone else to do it painful.

Some would argue that you don’t know how to do it yourself if you had to stand on top of it and your wife screwing it to the wall…

3 Likes

Fuck it, it works and doesn’t piss water all over the floor when you flush so I’m calling that a win.

4 Likes

Sometimes it’s the best you can do.