Tonearm massematics (aka bollocks)

My Super Gold now lives in a modified Mayware MkIV on Rock II. Quite why they’re suited to unipivots i don’t know but they do seem to sound better in them. A mate has one in Morch which sounds very good.

Think it is the amount of energy they chuck back through the arm.

Agreed. No cantilever so no damping of excess energy before it gets to the arm.

The trough on the Rock does the same job without the wobbly effects of a cantilever.

I was thinking of the cartridge and its compliance, arms have effective mass don’t they? But you’re right that linear trackers should be more different h Vs v than unipivots. But aren’t unipivots more different than gimbal arms?

Can’t see why they would be.

I hear this a lot, but I don’t really know what it means. I don’t see how a specific cartridge can create more energy, just a different profile of resonances

Depends how low slung its mass is, IE if its further down than it is out horizontally from the pivot.

Still, probably negligible.

I was thinking that a unipivot normally has a mass close to the pivot that is low, to maintain stability. This would increase the vertical but not the horizontal effective mass. I think.

Not sure I see how that works, you still have to move the same amount of armtube around.

Effective mass isn’t quite the same as mass, its more of a square on the distance.

Maybe. I doubt it’s a huge effect, unlike the vast difference you see with linear trackers.

Agree, but the distances is the same in both planes, no?

Might not be, you see the arms with the big heavy bell like thing over the pivot with the weight hung low, mass around the pivot very close horizontally, but could be an inch or two on the vertical.

Imagine a weight suspended from a handle via a compliant spring. You shake the handle & the weight may move a bit but won’t follow the movement of your hand. You replace the spring with a steel bar. Now you shake the handle & the weight moves following your hand. It’s the cartridge’s compliance that determines how much vibration will be transmitted into the arm. The Decca doesn’t have much compliance.

Unipivot arms don’t really react in the same way to being shaken as a gimballed arm might. Decca cartridges might well behave better in such arms.

1 Like

Yeah, fair enough I. Was thinking about it after I posted and yes, that would seem to make the V larger than the H. Opposite of what you get with air arms.

Yeah, I agree.

Do you have any stats on the effective mass of linear trackers? I’m trying to get my head around how it would work. It’s effectively clamped so the entire arm would move for the horizontal resonance, isn’t it? So it’s not a moment at all

Yeah, like on this one

Still, miniscule difference I bet.

1 Like

Its not a moment, but its still a sprung system. (cantilever is the spring)

In the case of air arms, the whole sled generally moves in the horizontal, while they have piddly short arms tubes which moves in the vertical. Certainly the Terminator is like that. Others are different, though.

Dynavector is another that would be like a linear,

Some waffle on there about it.

1 Like