Tools you have bought/desire

We have a couple of pairs of Moore & Wright ones which are ok,but always resort to the more traditional dial ones by Mitutoyo for real accuracy.

1 Like

This. I bought a set of carbon comp ones when they went cheap-as-chips years ago, because of Reasons.

The battery will always be flat when you need them, and the 1970s Mitutoyos will always be more accurate…

Been using this type for the past few years & they’ve been fine. Probably less than
£10 when I bought them but still reasonable incl p&p

Looks as if it is/was a Lidl brand

I use the Moore and wright digital ones at home and they are good enough for me,but at work I get a tut tut if I don’t use the old school ones

I have a couple of those (appear identical at least).
The larger of the 2 can measure up to 35cm which have been very useful.

Certainly more accurate than my ability. Battery last for ages (years)

1 Like

They all come out of the same chinesium factory. Mine are stainless and branded DML, accurate enough for woodwork. Dial or micros for an engineers workshop though :+1:

1 Like

Good enough for the carbohydrate foam wranglers. :index_pointing_at_the_viewer:

For everyone else there’s Mitutoyo.

3 Likes

I need a small drill bit chuck adaptor so I can use <2mm diameter drill bits in my drill press.

Before I take my chances with tat from Amazon, can anyone recommend a decent one please?

Do you mean <2mm ? Do you know how small you might want to go ?

yes <2mm
at least 1mm
ideally down to 0.5

You might search for a ‘pin chuck’.

I have an ‘ordinary’ one from my local tool shop (when it was still in business :frowning: ) but it’s 1.5mm max diameter. The jaws close perfectly tight to one another, at least to the naked eye, so I’d guess it would hold down to at least 0.05mm.

Jacobs.

1 Like

Not that I have ever had the need to drill anything less than 6mm. Ever.

I do remember my Dad always waxing lyrical about Jacobs tho.

Dunno how small you want to go, but a bit set like this (but by a reputable name I guess) work in any chuck can handle 3mm dia. I use sets exactly like these for PCB and small scale stuff, just need to keep RPM down and not hand-hold for the teeny ones.

2 Likes

In the end with very fine drill bits you do have to worry about the quality of the main chuck and the shaft, bearings and body behind it. If there’s any off-centredness (?) relative to the rotation axis then the bit will try to cut an oversize hole and may well snap in the process.

0.5mm isn’t very challenging though.

I’ve snapped a lot of 1 and 0.5 mil bits. Goggles are a good idea.

Lots of speed too, depends what you are going in to, but 5000rpm + at 0.5mm. If whatever drill you have doesn’t do that sort of speed then go as fast as possible use cutting fluid and take your time go in slowly

Deflection is what I used to say :man_shrugging:

Thanks chaps.
I already have a small drill bit chuck, its a bit shit (old) and i want a new one.
Will be used for 1 and 2mm holes in wood, largely hard wood. Can’t see me ever needing holes that small in metal. I get the issues with drill press run out.

The chuck in my drill goes down to 3mm, hence the need for the adapter.

For what its worth i use eye protection almost permanently in the workshop these days, having a suboptimal eye that can’t be corrected makes one ultra aware of one’s vision and the importance of not fucking up the remaining good eye.

2 Likes

Looks like a better option. Will have a search for some decent ones.