Tools you have bought/desire

Thought I had a spare one in the drawer,but it’s a hand held taping pin chuck eclipse 81.

Especially at this time of the week :wink:

1 Like

Starrett calipers for £20

3 Likes

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FXE7VSC/

Cheap at £36, VBW are top notch.

Or £51 as they seem to be now :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Bugger. That’s not such a good deal. Actually, looking at it that now liniks to the three piece set rather than the 5-piece, someone must’ve bought it. The 5 piece is normally £70+

1 Like

Need moar planes.

4 Likes

That’s actually alot easier than it first appears.

1 Like

You have tried it? Or the process appears easy? It’s very clever, I especially like the holders to make the various shapes like the triangles.

Never tried it, just the conclusion i reached from watching the video.

Suspect the hardest part is the final planing to produce the sheets of marquetry - how bloody sharp that plane must be + the strength and uniform application thereof!

But yeah, dude makes it look pretty simple. Which I daresay it isn’t…

1 Like

I have difficulty sitting cross legged. This is before the onset of skills on show.

3 Likes

Indeed, I have a couple of the puzzle boxes so it’s nice to see the process.

The wood is definitely softer than typical hardwoods so I imagine that helps a bit.

I want to expand the workshop machinery with a table saw, for cutting down sheet material and smaller angled cuts. Needs to be Single Phase with a budget certainly under £1k and I have enough space in the garage to leave it out but one with an additional wheeled base would be great.

Not really sure what I’m looking at but a quick search bought up these, any recomendations?

If you are working with full sheets (8x4) they look a bit small, could you get away with a track saw?

Buy a used one, a quality one with an iron top and sliding mechanism is within that budget. Kitty table saws are worth looking out for,

1 Like

I assume a track saw is the same as a plunge saw (with a track)?

Honestly I had not thought about it, I guess the difference will be when cutting smaller items (Baton, hardwood timber etc) is going to be more tricky?

Yes, that is exactly what I had in mind, in fact that is the very one I have but like you say only useful for sheet work really. I use a compound mitre saw for the rest.

I’ve got a plunge / track saw, and also a mitre saw. There are definitely a few scenarios I can think of where neither of them are suitable, where a table saw would be the best option. Festool do make a small table saw, and whilst I’d normally just suggest them for comedy price value, theirs incorporates the Saw-Stop tech, which makes it a fairly compelling choice to me.

I’ve been watching this series, and I think a Plunge saw will be the best option for me, for my garage space that I have.

2 Likes