Transformer volume control

Yup they are mono. So £320 it is. Plus VAT and delivery. You’ll want a switch and a box and some connectors too.

VB

So I now know …

The stratosphere is outside the ionosphere

Phones go up to 1900MHz but Giga Hz are a mystery

The atmosphere’s a lot deeper than I thought it was

There is a woman trapped inside Jim’s fart cloud

Who’d have guessed ?

VB

2 Likes

1.9 jigga hurts :scream:

1 Like

She’s usually called Ann. :grin:

2 Likes

Amazing what you learn on this thread, this science stuff is very educational, you should stick around, there might be more diagrams :joy:

Interesting opinion, I keep on hearing that but what puts me against is the EMIA work. I am sure that Dave Slagle and Jeffrey Jackson would already have a buffered version for sale - and they would know how to make it, since Dave makes the AVCs. I still believe what you lose with buffers is more than what you gain, especially if your amps are suitable. I guess some amps can’t cope with a variable impedance that AVC presents, but that’s not a problem of AVC than rather of an amp.

BTW I used to have a full on monty AVC with buffers (I think output only) - Bent Tap-X, it sounded so much worse through buffers that I thought it may be broken.

FWIW for few months already I listen a crazily good silver wounded AVC made locally here that kicked Slagles out of my system by a large margin…

1 Like

Making the output of your amp impervious to the variable impedance = Installing a buffer before the AVC.

Same hoops to jump through.

This is the approach in the Thomas Mayer preamps where he uses a Tribute or Slagle AVC driven by a small output transformer typically attached to an 801a or similar.

I have one of the Tribute AVCs waiting for a similar treatment with a 26 or vt62.

yes he mentioned a combo made by pieter tribute exclusively for him, OPT & AVC. in this case you fix impedance. frankly i would be tempted to hear this first.

with buffer plus AVC, me thinks someone really needs to weigh pros and cons. i hate solid state buffers and i haven’t had a chance to hear a good tube buffer. DHT buffers?

plus i don’t get why not going for a full active pre with some small gain, it shouldn’t cost much more than a decent buffer. but you as constructors know better.