Turntable advice: reconsidering vinyl after 35 yrs CD

3 Likes

But I love Starward single malt, that will make up to it.

1 Like

Whisky and vinyl replay are not good bedfellows

3 Likes

Never stopped me :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

The trouble with these responses is they are all based in logic. Vinyl for the most part is heavily weighted as an emotive endeavor.

1. Love music, would you like to hear more of it?
  2. Does art turned into 0’s and 1’s satisfy you?
  3. Do records interest you?
  4. Do you secretly like to faff?
  5. Do you collect anything else?
  6. Would you describe yourself as someone serious about music?
  7. Do you like rituals? (Playing records can get ritualistic)
  8. Are you interested in music history or art?
  9. Do you have room in your life to commit to an obsession?
  10. Can you fall in love with a file or a ‘thing’?
3 Likes

I ain’t adding a thing to it
Because I don’t need to!

"I’ve never stopped listening to vinyl. I was very disappointed when the CDs came out because I didn’t like the way they sounded. So much was lost with CDs, and then MP3s, they took away much of the depth, all the panoramic quality in three-dimensional, or even five-dimensional, of the audio experience. So cool to see the resurgence of vinyl. Beyond sound, there’s the touch experience, the art, the notes you can read without using a magnifying glass, and the act of putting on an album. “It’s a lovely little ritual that I never get tired of.”

- Jimmy Page

14 Likes

Spot on

Sums it up for me.

As somone who go ‘into vinyl’ from scratch in the 2000s, don’t do it. It’s really not worth it :rofl:

That said, the P9 is an excellent deck and would be a good choice as you won’t loose money if you moved it on! I loved mine!

5 Likes

If it’s a plug and play you’re after ,I’d just go for a technics 1200 gr and get a decent cartridge
If you don’t get on with it,you shouldn’t lose much

3 Likes

Thank you all for your feedback, food for thoughts!

It’s traditional at this point to ignore all the advice and crack-on with whatever your first impulsive notion was anyway, then come back and tell us how great an idea it was, even if, in fact, you rue the day you ever started :+1:

7 Likes

I’ve only ever met people who regretted giving up on Vinyl.

I think that’ll always be true if you grew-up with vinyl and had assembled a decent collection, which you then sold at a huge loss and replaced early-doors with CD when that was all 1-bit Sony awfulness for £20 a pop.

I didn’t do that because I couldn’t afford a decent vinyl collection when I was young, couldn’t afford CDs either, indeed I couldn’t afford even a basic hifi system for literal decades.

I got back into vinyl when the only formats you could get new releases on were that or downloads, esp. MP3 era. Since then vinyl prices have spiralled upwards, vinyl quality spiralled downwards, and downloads improved - so I now grit my teeth and buy downloads which my PC then corrupts / hides / deletes / all-3.

It all makes me glad I never gave-up on CD. CD isn’t the best format, but it is the best compromise.

And yes, the “c”-word is a very dirty word around here; and Respect to you purists for making that so.

2 Likes

First, thank you all again for all your thoughts and comments.
While considering and contemplating, it was our youngest daughter that made me finally decide what to do.
One of her mottos is YOLO. In case you didn’t know the expression as I did, it’s youngster talk for ‘you only live once’. She also has Latin at school, so if she had said ‘Carpe Diem’, I guess we all would had immediately understood.
So long story short, I bought a used TT to get into all the faff and visiting shops stumbling through the 2nd hand collection of memory lane music and artists.
And I like it a lot, no regrets!

34 Likes

Excellent!

What tt and arm is that? Very fucken noice!

Young people can be very annoying. :smile:

2 Likes

Are you sure yiou didn’t get it due to FOMO?

3 Likes

It’s a Bergmann Sindre, the arm came with it. Always fancied the tangential TTs of B&O and Technics back in the day, so, well, YOLO.
The cartridge is a modified Denon 103 by Holistic Audio.
According to a friend the first upgrade, but for a TT rookie like me good enough to start.

5 Likes

Which is a lovely thing, as is the arm.
You haven’t dipped your toe in the water you have jumped in up to your waist :grinning:

(Your friend is right by the way)

3 Likes