Turntable sound issue

cart

7 Likes

Are you listening to the Pixies?

4 Likes

I adjusted the weight on the tonearm and more downforce seems to have possibly cured the problem.

I checked the headshell screws were tight enough.

However, I now have a slight hum. FFS.

I have a new to me tonearm to put on. I’ll stick that on sometime and see if that helps.

Was that before you reassembled it and have you not set it up again?

Yes. I just picked it up from the floor and stuck it back on the HiFi stand. Time is limited with my 4 year old running round :neutral_face:

1 Like

I would start again from scratch and set the cartridge up again. Seriously, it needs to be done. Poor alignment might be the cause of your varying issues.

Yeah. I spent a lot of time getting the bounce right and then doing the alignment before I took it off the stand. I was hoping not to do it again, especially as in due course I want to fit the Moerch UP4 which is going to be a whole world of faff as it’s unipivot. I wanted to get a handle on the Jelco sound before changing.

Are you using an accurate vtf scale, or relying on balancing it and using the graduations on the counterweight?

The latter.

Get a scale and do the former, they’re not much money on eBay - ~£10 ish

Set the cart alignment up again first, but get a scale anyway.

3 Likes

Sorry, I got confused then. I do have a good quality scales and did use it. I’ll do it again.

Ok, but setting up the alignment properly is the first thing I would do.

And overhang.

It is still doing it. The sound seems to get louder after the first centimetre of replay. Then reduce again, before picking up when the needle is closer to the centre.

Is it a channel issue? Louder/softer in one or the other?
Or does the image stay centred and balance okay?

1 Like

Both I think. I think it’s arm or cartridge related. That’s only a hunch on my part.

So the volume goes up and down in both channels, equally?

Have you checked the headshell leads for good connection?

Have,You.Done.This.Yet.

???

1 Like

I’ve been working. A full fettle is pencilled in for the weekend.

1 Like

Also do you have a headphone set up? Using headphone while setting up and diagnosing can be helpful.

1 Like