Twitchers Revisited

6 Likes

Early July and already this male Red-necked Phalarope is starting to moult into winter plumage.

Imgur

Eider ducks seem to have done well, this female had 5 very young chicks

Imgur

We don’t have a lot of breeding Black-headed Gulls but I’m starting to see a few juveniles now

Imgur

9 Likes
3 Likes

Ah well, he can fuck off into the sun now and the W-T Eagles can wave to him as he goes by!

2 Likes

If I recall, one of his wealthy local benefactors had left poison for it on their shooting estate and Loder had approved wholeheartedly. Tried to set the police on locals who came to one of his surgeries to complain. Proper entitled cunt. Good riddance.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s not uncommon, even though it’s a criminal offence. Getting proof is difficult enough but some police forces don’t exactly break their necks pursuing these crimes.

Up at 06:30 this morning (I really don’t do early mornings!) to join a survey of an “off-reserve” Red-necked Phalarope site.

Two males were on territory and one nest was discovered. They are incredibly difficult to find, pretty much impossible unless you disturb the incubating male, giving away the location. This is the prescribed method and doesn’t carry any risk of abandonment, the male always returns to the nest.

4 eggs (just over an inch long) in this one, which is a fairly typical clutch size

Imgur

It’s bloody hard work, a mile walk (each way) from the car over very rough ground then two hours trudging around in the boggy wet mires.

All carried out under license.

13 Likes

A rare (1st Summer) White-billed Diver off Aith beach today, albeit distant…

Massively cropped image, it was at least 350m out.
Imgur

Hopefully I’ll see it a bit closer in the coming days!

10 Likes

We’ve had a commotion on the patio

18 Likes

Wow

Just eaten the whole lot 6ft away from us

1 Like

Incredible.

Love the pics!

The long lost Laurel and Hardy short, featuring James Finlayson.

1 Like

Could do with a couple here, bloody pigeons are eating all the fruit

4 Likes

Stu’s right, any kind of disturbance and the green powder comes off exposing these parakeets as common or garden pigeons. Suck on that Attenborough.

3 Likes

Good luck clearing that lot up before the dog goes out tomorrow.

Nothing left other than feathers. He comes across these kills all the time when we’re out on walks, barely raises an eyebrow

Not 100% sure on the identification but think I saw a white tailed eagle near Bala on the way back from Cader Idris today. Big fucker.