UK 1980’s film recommendations

It looks extremely dated,but there is something I like about it.
Real snapshot of a time and place.
Co produced by Dodi Fayed

4 Likes

this is going to be a rabbit hole. A good one.

1 Like

An American Werewolf in London

Educating Rita

Elephant Man

Lair of the White Worm

Personal Services

Rita, Sue and Bob too

Withnail and I

5 Likes

Nuts in May
Or any of the ‘Confessions’ films.

1 Like

I nearly put ‘…Window Cleaner’ remember seeing snippets as a kid and wondering what that was all about

May I add an all time personal favourite ‘Brazil’ to the list

Superb 80s film, not sure about the ‘realism’ though!

9 Likes

My first thought at 04:35 was this:

5 Likes

First film I was ‘ordered’ to watch by my uni tutor, a man of taste!

2 Likes

Used to to the west end/soho every Friday night in 78/80 and after we’d been playing space invaders and similar,we’d go to a small back street cinema,and watch films from midnight til 6am

Wish I could remember them all,they’d show a couple of full length movies mingled with some brilliant British short films.Was a great hang out for the weird and wonderful puff heads and speed freaks from night clubs who couldn’t make it home to the suburbs til the underground got going in the morning.
Probably only held 70-100 people and stunk of dope. Great days

For some reason this is the only short I can remember

4 Likes

Keep an eye out as the remastered Local Hero has a limited run in cinemas just now.

1 Like

That sounds like the bones of a script right there @stu

1 Like

I believe there’s a 50th anniversary reprint of the Wicker Man out in cinemas this summer. That may be worth going to see.

3 Likes

I’ll keep an eye out for that - cheers

If you’re going to watch Brazil, might as well throw in Jabberwocky and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen as well. Again 0/10 for “realism”, but I enjoy both.

2 Likes

Time Bandits.

5 Likes

:+1:

The Wicker Man was a great film, but 1973, not 80’s.

Please do ignore the appalling 2006 version. :poop:

1 Like

Watched this earlier. Wow. Just wow! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

If you ever get the chance to see this Stu take it - it’s an extraordinary documentary

The story of how they made Fitzcarraldo is genuinely mindboggling (one bit in particular is :exploding_head:)

Almost all the Herzog / Kinski films are brilliant (Cobra Verdi excepted) not to mention his love of Popol Vuh for the soundtracks.

2 Likes

Yes the story how they produced Fitzcorraldo is really quite something! Did you see this documentary:

Well worth checking out if you haven’t already ! :sunglasses:

2 Likes