Underfloor heating

I can only repeat the other recommendations for the best possible insulation.
(Not relevant for your question if I’ve understood your plan correctly but… Our floor heating runs from a geothermal heat pump which puts out water at about 20 degrees. The house is very comfortable in winter, even with -10 outside. The floor is never more than slightly warm. And of course you can reverse it in summer for cooling :sunglasses:)

1 Like

We have ufh in the whole house (apart from the music loft that has a big rad).

It works best on stone floors.
When we first moved in the developer/builder had used a way to high tog value underlay and very little heat got through. Once that was put right even the carpeted lounge and upstairs works fine too.
We have the polypipe system.
Pretty much fit and forget.

When our boiler dies (it’s a Worcester Bosch 5 years old) we’d go heat pump, borehole or garden loops (have over 1/2 acre back garden to dig up), or least faff air source.

We’d never go back to rads.
If we move, top priority is ufh🙂

1 Like

I would really like carpet in our lounge for acoustic reasons. Lots of glass and hard walls would be a challenge. Yes I know I could buy rugs but I would rather (in this case) have the whole floor covered in something that absorbs sound.

1 Like

After much deliberation we have decided to stick with rads. This is mainly down to the fact that the efficiency of UFH in our property cannot be guaranteed and I am not willing to take the risk that I might need to retrofit additional rads to compensate. Plus with a ground floor area to heat is around 160 sqm the total cost was becoming an additional issue.

If we were also installing a ground or air source heat pump that may have swayed our decision.

Our solar panels pull in a decent return via the FiT scheme so all in all I’m hoping overall utility costs should be reasonable.

You are going to put some sort of diverter for heating in then (e.g. Zappi to Sunamp)?

No. I just mean financial return.

It was more that if you are having a new heating system and have excess solar then it could be worth sticking in something like that while you are at it.

2 Likes