Unity Speakers

Anyone have any experience of this design? Later known as Synergy Horns - essentially, it is a way to have multiple drivers and wavelengths function as a single ‘point’ source.
A compression driver is used at the back of a horn, and mid-bass drivers are mounted around the horn, and transfer sound through ports cut into the horn.

Additional woofers are used in a separate cabinet - the mid-bass and compression driver arrangement rarely works below 3-500Hz.

1 Like

I have no experience but have seen plenty of discussion in diyaudio.com

There is enough distance between the drivers for it not to be considered time aligned, unless DSP and active is used.

You can model them in Hornresp.

There was an Aus guy on Diyaudio who was trying them out. That was a few years ago though.

They are time aligned. Not physically but with the right crossover they are as close to linear phase as you can get with a passive design.

That’s interesting.
The alignment plot is a bit small but the scale is one ms!

There’s a whole thread about the ins and outs.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329112

Talk of many notch filters.

Give me DSP anyday

This one was interesting too

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287990

They are typical Danley, the main issue for me is getting mid drivers worth using. Bwaslo’s efforts ended up with a system sensitivity of something like 90db, no thanks.

I’m not sure I’d want to DIY them, as I’m not Tom Danley. It looks like real voodoo, and the chances of getting anywhere close to Danley’s results if you’re not a guru are exactly zero.

There is a spreadsheet etc, it’s doable, but because the mid range is basically operating in a band pass enclosure it’s specs need to be just so. Next to nothing works well off the shelf.

Sounds like a job for - duh duh DUHHHHH…

Behringer!
a DCX 24/96 and a SuperX

A system I have found uses the short production run Lambda Unity horn (licensed to Lambda by Tom Danley) and made-for-purpose Unity Tech mid/bass drivers. I’ve not (yet) found any specs for those drivers.

At the right price it’d be interesting. Those who’ve made a go of Unity horns seem to sing their praises.

I used 2 Behringer DCXs to get 5 way, to try them. Was first foray into active.
Amazing hearing them do their auto timealign chugging thing…
Getting the gain structure right is the challenge with them.
I switched to Najda PDQ when that became available.

I’ve still got one DCX I think, you can have it for the postage…
I remember bypassing the output stage for caps.
Coco went pretty far with modding his. He got a Najda but it broke.
Pretty sure WayHayward has a Najda still as does Keith.

1 Like

A friend of mine has 7 of those original kits.

It was a Misco driver for the mid, I had the details somewhere.

1 Like

[quote=“edd9000, post:11, topic:10317, full:true”]
A friend of mine has 7 of those original kits.

It was a Misco driver for the mid, I had the details somewhere.[/quote]

:open_mouth:

It does seem that those who like the kits, really like them.
The one I have found has a TAD 2001 compression driver.

[quote=“SteadySteve, post:10, topic:10317, full:true”]
I used 2 Behringer DCXs to get 5 way, to try them. Was first foray into active.
Amazing hearing them do their auto timealign chugging thing…
Getting the gain structure right is the challenge with them.
I switched to Najda PDQ when that became available.

I’ve still got one DCX I think, you can have it for the postage…[/quote]

Postage, given where I am, could be a little more than might have been originally thought…
I did look at the Najda a while back. I recall it looked fabulous.

Most of us upgraded to Burson opp amps on Najda.
Nice improvement.
There were all sorts of amazing creations done, external dacs, tube stages you name it.
Generally accepted that the low hanging fruit was the op amps…
I made mine linear 12-0-12v and 5v supplies.
Using I2S in for digital source works very well.

1 Like

Misco mid is correct. No longer available. Sensitivity is the only real issue with finding appropriate drivers. A lot of off the shelf mids will work if you cover the back of the driver in a tiny enclosure to seal them up. Particularly if you add midbass, to the horn, as well.

Also, I have Unity Horns from the U15 pro speakers from yorkville, as well. They are lovely and include a nice BMS compression driver. I suppose I could do a 9 channel unity setup with them in the mix. Ceiling mount Atmos Unities? Hrmmm. :smiley:

Madman ! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Welcome back.