Upgrading LMS

U OK Hun?

LMS on my Synology was flaky as fuck. Ran then died, claimed was running but wouldnt serve anything…

Well, I have to do the school run in a bit but otherwise fine, why?

You seem to have read a lot into my post!

I think it’s because I’m several emails deep with an end user who thinks he knows what he’s doing and really doesn’t. As I can’t* type JUST FUCKING BUY SOMETHING THAT WORKS YOU POINTLESSLY IMPECUNIOUS BASTARD to him, you’ll have to do by way of substitution.

*Well, I could. Once.

1 Like

I’d empathise, but my schadenfreude has gone into overdrive.

No, no it’s not.

Containerisation is a good thing in some circumstances, but like any newish technology it’s far too often applied because it’s in vogue and the techies want to polish their CVs.

Linux LMS is generally very stable and the opposite of flaky. The main issues would be networking if running on shit wifi, or RAM if it’s a big library and you were using plugins like Custom Browse, as many older NAS devices would have very little RAM (the first ones were 64MB). Unfortunately it can be very hard to ascertain what the problem is.

You might be right. I might just buy a suite of Pi Zeroes and use one for each server!

For the record, when I saw @browellm first mention Docker above I was simultaneously horrified and not entirely surprised.

It really does have no place in the home, let alone home audio.

I have a large NAS with upgraded memory. https://www.synology.com/en-uk/products/DS918+ with 8Gb of memory. My network is wired and I wouldn’t say the library is that big.

TBH i don’t recall which plugins I was using and yes that might have been the problem.

Anyway it is irrelevant - for whatever reason it was unreliable and I got rid of all my SB devices (apart from the Radio that no-one seemed to want)

I’ve run it for 3 years with no problem, just by using a pre-built image and not really understand the internal fuckery, other than following the instructions to update it no and again. Going to version 8 is slightly beyond my Fu at the moment. Mainly because I feel ill and can’t be arsed putting any energy into it.

The only reason it’s in a docker is that it allows me to have LMS on a different IP address to Roon on the same hardware. If they share the same IP, it’s the equivalent of crossing the streams.

Don’t know if you fixed it but I had fun with it yesterday going from 7.9.3 > 8.0 but try this command first (it will try and fix a fucked install):

sudo apt --fix-broken install

If not this is how I uninstalled 7 and installed 8 on raspbian buster lite (has no desktop)

sudo apt-get purge logitechmediaserver

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

sudo apt-get install -y libsox-fmt-all libflac-dev libfaad2 libmad0

sudo wget http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/8.0/lms/a646e60d7359876872a061aa3a25f2ec82474865/logitechmediaserver_8.0.0~1583188601_arm.deb

sudo dpkg -i logitechmediaserver_8.0.0~1583188601_arm.deb

sudo apt --fix-broken install

1 Like

Cotton buds and isopropyl don’t seem quite as faffy now.

4 Likes

I think they need to work on the UI

For the uninitiated, what does LMS do?

And why would I need it and Roon?

Thanks in advance.

It’s a music server as well, just like Roon. It’s open source, less polished, and much cheaper - it’s free and runs well on a £40 Pi, rather than hundreds of pounds and needing an expensive server.

While it was originally designed for Squeezebox hardware, you can now use loads of things as players - CC Audio, Pi plus USB DAC, etc. It’s remarkably flexible.

1 Like

Thanks for that.

I remain unconvinced by Roon. It seems like a good, stable, headless music server that doesn’t clutter up my living room, but many of the extra bells and whistles leave me cold.

Also it’s pretty opinionated regarding metadata. So am I, and Roon frequently gets it wrong IMO.

My metadata has gone to shit now that I have integrated my Qobuz library - I can’t overwrite their tags. So I sort by adding an artistsort and albumsort tag; it’s ordered by last name (Bowie, David) but shows David Bowie. If an artist is already in my library then it works, but if not then it sorts under David. I can probably change this but it’ll take effort. Having something that has a consistent position might be good, even if it’s consistently wrong.

Oof, I might no bother then.

I use it because as well as the Transporter I’ve got a Boom in the kitchen and a SB Radio that just sort of travels from room to room. Although these will hook up to Roon, they have good old-fashioned preset buttons on them which you can’t use any more if you do.

1 Like