WANTED Active Subwoofer (10-12")

Central ish position works. Corners not so good.
Having tried & heard a few can only recommend a Velodyne DD. Wallet shaggingly expensive new, but under a grand, 2nd hand. Still a lot of money but these truly do the job.
The inbuilt electronics & mike will set it up for you, but hooked up to a monitor screen you can tweek every single damn thing to suit your room.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Velodyne-DD-12-Subwoofer/133242962382?hash=item1f05e641ce:g:AG8AAOSwt8Jd0UIK

1 Like

Ah ok cheers, when I was using the sub I had it away from the corner and I couldn’t tell where the bass was coming from but it did seem to interfere with the speakers. Too lazy to mess around with DSP’ing so it’s just sat in the garage now.

They’re especially great when you get back from the boozer and get the bangin’ 12" singles on

Jesus Decks

4 Likes

Yep

1 Like

Thats got me thinking do I need 2. Bit of a bargain at £900.

I prefered the early Rel Strata’s to the BK200 I had for music, but single Velodyne DD12 blew 2 Strata 5’s away. I concluded one great sub was better than 2 good ones in my small pad.

2 Likes

Blimey, they must be good.

After hearing a pair of SF Olympica 3 I can’t get out of my head the fact that I have never heard a kick drum properly in my own system.
So I don’t suppose I am looking for quantity of bass, more quality, to fill in where the speakers fall away. Sure the task will be to get the bass to integrate properly so it sounds close to a full range speaker. So a quicker sub intended for music would be the direction I would go in.

FWIW, I’ve had whats generally considered small speakers, mostly Avondale Revelation’s with 4 ½" woofer. I use a sub to get over the ‘chuff’ rather than add extra instruments.

If you can hear a sub when you walk in a room, its too loud.

I suspect loudness has something to do with early Rel’s being loved/hated. They’re not particularly powerful and can run out of steam, but domestic levels I thought they integrated well.

Very good article on positioning of multiple subwoofers

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.harman.com/sites/default/files/multsubs_0.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjfkpudjMfmAhVLa8AKHS_9B1IQFjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw1yl36tcrVaR4BAI8eD2yMU

2 Likes

With the Velodyne DD every frequency is tuneable and movable. Get one to come in where your speakers run out. Mark is spot on, one great one beats 2 OK ones.
They do a DD+ which is even betterer… but mucho spendo.

Nice, Geddes has been banging on about distributed bass for years, I have heard it sound very good.

Just seen the price of those! Older ones seem a realistic price though

1 Like

Are your speakers active? Do they take a line level input signal?

Yes, they are fed from the pre out on my Marantz Pre. Each has a line in to a mono amp at the base. Assuming I would need to connect the sub to the other pre-out. Not sure how the crossover would work etc as I’m assuming I will always have a full range signal going to the speakers, unless there is a way of connecting the speakers to the sub and letting it control the frequency range sent to the speakers.

Have a look at this link. I’ve had a beer…but this dsp would proably do the job for you https://www.minidsp.com/applications/digital-crossovers/minidsp-2x4hd-application/282-2x4-hd-sub-integration

2 Likes

Yeah the mini DSP would work, although it’s digital, so it’s better to feed it with a full volume signal and use it as a volume control as well

Yes, I use mine as a pre and run my integrated amp as a poweamp with the volume set to a resonable max level. The other pair of line outs go to the active subs.

That would be ideal, use the mini dsp instead of my pre, which I was hoping to take out of the chain and put elsewhere with the matching monoblocks.
Was thinking of an all in one pre/dac/streamer that could just be left on for the family to use, so this might help simplify things.

Mini DSP does have an optional remote.

Trying to work out if using a mini dsp would mean the dsp facilities of the Velodyne would be redundant/overkill. Had kind of got in my head that circa £500 would sort a good sub, but the Velodyne appeals as it seems to mean placement is less of an issue.

The mini dsp will mean you don’t “need” to use the sub’s own controls. Hence you can buy any sub(s) you fancy.

1 Like