WFH Employer responsibilities

There are some good used chairs here, I bought a couple for our office, I think they were by Steelcase.

1 Like

It can take time to work (but it will) and so in the meantime if anybody is struggling with aches and pains in shoulders and lower back/ hips then I would look for a foam roller (not foam really but as hard and nobbly as possible is best) or a hockey/ lacrosse ball and roll around on it until you find the pain and press down on it! If you want to know more google trigger point release.

Yes. Ive more or less paid for the ikea desk and chair I ordered with fuel saved over the last month.

formally (I am public sector) ours wonā€™t buy a chair. But they will let us take our office chair home.

My dodgy home office chair broke a few weeks ago (it was v old and v cheap and not very good) - the chair caused me huge amounts of lower back pain. I bought a new chair and my boss has told me to keep the receipt to handā€¦oh and i have been lower back pain free since the new chair arrived

They also wont buy us desktop monitors for work at home - we do buy laptops, and accessories to enable WAH - so before lockdown, I bought about 100 webcams and headsets to ensure we had the right stuff for delivering teaching etcā€¦

I donā€™t think that expecting an employer to furnish a home office right now especially when this is a temporary situation is particularly reasonable.

2 Likes

If theyā€™re going to buy chairs anyway though then they should pay for one now and let Andy bring it into work when they want him to come back.

VB

My firm wouldnā€™t buy a chair in the first place, or a desk.
If your contact was to work from home than they would provide the technical means to do so and the rest would be up to you

That is our argument. Head office is in Bideford where they own the building, employees there were allowed to take chairs home.
Bristol is a satellite tech office where the building owners (previously) supplied chairs.

Iā€™ve worked from home for about 15 years now (with a few years back in an office in the middle). I spent a chunk on a decent office chair which I still use today (it is battered to fuck though), during my time in the office I took the chair in with me as I found standard chairs to be so uncomfortable. I recently bought a swanky Herman Miller chair (at a steep discount) but still prefer my old chair. Every so often Iā€™ll look for something new but can never find anything that looks like it could better what I have.

I ended up buying my own chair for the office as I couldnā€™t find one that was comfortable

i have had this for a few years https://www.ergohuman.net/ergohuman-plus/ergohuman-plus-leather-seat-mesh-back-legrest.html footrest is great, but i wish I had got the mesh seat

Have had this for a week or so at homeā€¦https://www.back2.co.uk/herman-miller-mirra-2-triflex-graphite.html seems ok so far

Did this lunch time, 3x20 reps each. Must admit, it did help.

2 Likes

Cool. If you keep it up daily it will help prevent the aches and pains in the first place.

1 Like

???

4558355565_70ed767f27_b

6 Likes

Having a suitable chair is really only 1/3rd of the job if you want to prevent aches and pains. Your whole workstation needs to be set up to give you the correct posture and conditions to minimise health problems. Getting up and moving around every hour will also help in addition to Waynes workout ideas.
There is loads of workstation setup schemes on the internet, usually based on keeping your joints at a neutral position. The UK HSE site is good but at the moment it is down for maintenance.

1 Like

Iā€™m currently standing at laptop all day WFH. Itā€™s ok.

Go on the sick, injury at work :ok_hand:

Yeah, great idea.

1 Like

Alternatively work while ill?

Homeworking will be with us for some time. Employers will have to recognise their responsibilities and equip their workforce correctly.

I want mine to buy me a new sofa.
I spend most of my time wfh sitting on the sofa.
Especially as you can insert a background of your choice for MS Teams meetings :grinning:

4 Likes