What Headshell?

Witch

Outsider Contenders:

Glanz MH-4 ( On left) Skinny and weird but very well damped, sounds good though. This one is DLC coated and is reassuringly nosebleed (Even the standard one is gut knotting)

Nasotec swing headshell - Wobbles allover the place!! Iā€™ve heard one in use many times and it seems to deliver (Donā€™t use anti skate)

Schick Resin Headshell. Similar in shape (Mass at the back) as the Schick Graphite headshell these seem to be very popular but Iā€™ve not heard one, So this suggestion is based on foo appeal only.

4 Likes

Like the Ortofon LH-9000 with Ortofon Royal N and a AT-LH18 technihard with a Denon DL-103 on my FR64fx

The big fuck off Fidelity Research one :smile:

Whereabouts are you? I have a Korf head shell sitting in a cupboard somewhere you are welcome to try. I donā€™t think it is a great match with an Io though. With an Io Ltd on a FR64fx I preferred the Schick Graphite head shell. I did have a few of those but I think I only have one which was damaged, albeit playable, left. You are welcome to try that as well if you want. I also tried the Timestep and Yamamoto ebony head shells, both of which worked OK with the Io Ltd. I probably have those somewhere as well.

David

7 Likes

Hi Dave,
Long time no see :grinning:
I am on the south coast near Newhaven.
I am sourcing a Schick Graphite head shell at the moment and hope to get a few others to try.

If the Korf is not a good match with the Io then I wonā€™t worry about it.
It wasnā€™t on the list of recommended hedshells that people posted on the thread.
I would be interested in the ebony headshells to try.

None of this is going to happening until mid-September as I am relying on the forum taxi service from Settle to get the TT and arm here.

What is the turntable?

1 Like

Thorens TD124 MkII

2 Likes

Exciting. Iā€™m currently making decisions myself to get everything bought by year end (hopefully). I still need to get my IO fixed as well, not a gold though but Iā€™m still feeling proud to have one after getting sucked in by that Wam review haha

Iā€™ve had a few of these, Uwe panzerholtz, Uwe Ebony, Schick Graphite, FR etc and preferred the Schick over the others although not tried with a IOā€¦although they have doubled in price over the last few yearsā€¦

Any recommendations re a headshell for Ikeda 407

The arche looks more faffy than I can cope with but if itā€™s set and forget I could rope in some help from my cartridge fettling buddy (thatā€™s you Mike)

Prefer second hand as trying it against the Ikeda standard one which feels a bit bunched up like itā€™s too short

Cart is an Ikeda 9tt so expected the Ikeda one would be fine but the orsonic/arche look tempting

How can it be too short if you have (presumably) achieved the required overhang?

Ikeda geometry is a law unto itself.

1 Like

To get the headshell in the right place the gap between cart and headshell is ok but very cramped for my leads

There is a bit of would something else be nicer going on here too of vourse

I like the solid fidelity research or micro seiki ones

2 Likes

Eh?

Will this not be the same with a longer headshell?

2 Likes

'Looping the tags so L&R come out each side of the cartridge is the way to go rather than a bunched & crunched mess crammed behind the cartridge. (shorter tags are sometimes handy too)

Darrenā€™s Ikeda appears to be one that comes with a shorter type headshell aimed for those using a cartridge where the cantilever extends forward. There is reference to this in some older reviews, and the importer confirmed this.
Currently that make setting the overhang correctly difficult, and it looks a bit odd/off with a ā€˜crescent moonā€™ visible.
He could purchase a new Ikeda standard headshell (and they do a gold one now!) but when has that been the way of a meatman!

I quite like my Orsonic 101. A bit less faff & adjustment than the Arche.

I did borrow an Ikeda 407 from Mik at one point. The best sounding pivoted arm Iā€™ve tried but as Matt says the geometry was weird & the cartridge was more askew in the shell than seemed right. It was as if the arm wasnā€™t bent enough! I didnā€™t have the Ikeda protractor & I donā€™t know what his intended geometry is.