What I'm watching (Part 1)

Wheir?

1 Like

Clip clippety clop.

Youā€™re showing your age nowā€¦

Finished American Gods,

Painfully dull, and the style becomes self conscious. Itā€™s clever, but it lost my interest long before the last episode closed.

Thereā€™s plenty of tricks, but itā€™s just missing something and I reckon itā€™s a plot.

Canā€™t stand Gaiman but like the visuals on this so thought I might give it a go. I wonā€™t be expecting much so might end up liking it :slight_smile:

Yep 8 hours of TV and you know the same by the last episode you knew in the first.

Music was good though.

I think itā€™s a lot to do with the fact that there is no real mystery. Once you have grasped it, itā€™s just a series of sideshows.

Itā€™s some oldies v some newbies. The rest seemed to be some random side tales that ranged from slightly amusing to funny for the wrong reasons. The Irish back story, with the narration over, was dire. Reminded me of Desperate Housewivesā€¦

I kept watching for the visuals, but not sure Iā€™ll be back.

I think the issue with quite a few new shows is the protracted manor in which they establish ā€˜charactersā€™ and back stories. American Gods visually was quite spectacular but the majority of the series was seemingly based on establishing pending peril and the key players. The story in many ways has yet to begin. I do understand that such shows (Better call Saul is a prime contender for this issue) wish to build lengthy franchises but sadly this can be at the cost of a sufficiently strong coherent narrative and momentum.
I rather hope the ā€˜battleā€™ in A.Gā€™s ensues in the next series the threat of which was too protracted in S1. A spin off series about the Leprechaun would be most welcome.

1 Like

It was wonderfully cast, apart from the very wooden lead.

Which didnā€™t help.

The Schreiber brothers do excellent men with attitudesā€¦ I agree about the character. Shame he popped up right at the end of the lame Irish episode, and didnā€™t get to be centre stage for that hour!

1 Like

Leftovers badk on tonight.

Really enjoyed the first two series.

That was right up my street when I watched it a while back.

30 mins left and not sure if I can be arsed watching the rest, ridley scott is churning out some shit with these prequels

I thought Fassbender was excellent. As a pure slice of sci-if horror, I enjoyed it.

Just starting to row my way through Narcos. Reckon itā€™ll be about 450 Km when Iā€™m done. :smile:

6 Likes

The Genius of David Bowie

4 Likes

Ooh, 2001 is on BBC2 at 11:15 tonight. Not seen it for years.

Recording it as Iā€™m almost certain to fall asleep.

My favourite bit is Leonard Rossiter.

2 Likes

My mind is going ā€¦ there is no question about it

Iā€™ve just finished re-reading the book - still a brilliant read

1 Like

Ah, bugger, thereā€™s a song that sampled that line, and Iā€™ve got it, but canā€™t bloody remember what it isā€¦

Murder by New Order

1 Like