What I'm watching (Part 1)

I do watch the odd stage, but know very little about it all.
That 20 min gap over the yellow jersey seems huge.
What is the largest gap, on a stage?

It is based on the difficulty of the stage and then percentages so the faster the stage goes, the longer the cutoff time. Also, the harder the stage, the longer the cutoff time. The sprinters tend to calculate the cutoff time for the mountain stages so that they just get in under the time limit. A load of them got it wrong the other day at Alpe D’Huez and all got eliminated.

Some details here:

These guys are as hard as nails - Craddock crashed on Stage One and broke his shoulder blade and has finished every stage since. He is donating $100 for every stage he finishes to his home town velodrome. He still managed to average 22.5 mph today mental.

I do a lot of road cycling and know how hard it is to keep up a 16 mph average speed on a relatively flat route. It truly boggles my mind how fit and strong these riders are.

Today’s stage was what they call a transition stage where the race needs to get from the Alps to the Pyrenees on tuesday so only the 9,000 + feet of vertical ascent today. :crazy_face:

1 Like

A good piece of escapist bullshit.

2 Likes

First time for me since it was on the telly. It’s still just as good.

VB

4 Likes

A curious little film although quite enjoyable.

3 Likes

One of my favourite dramas - up there with Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy and I, Claudius

Yes. You do have to suspend a good deal of disbelief. But it’s got Sally Hawkins in it and I’d pay to watch her read the phone book.

VB

1 Like

“If you save the world, we can do it in the asshole…” “I’ll be right back”

Much Awesomeness.

You’re no Mark Kermode that’s for sure. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Reminds me of the line delivered by Keeley Hawes’s character in High Rise:

“Right, which one of you bastards is going to fuck me up the arse?”

Since his negative review of Burn after Reading, I take his opinions with a shovelful of salt!

Interesting to watch this 40 years later,like a different world

6 Likes

On his recommendation and because I thought the music might be good I bought and watched this

http://www.underground-england.co.uk/news/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/radio-on-640x470.png

last week. On balance I’m going to say don’t bother. It was interesting to see some of the landscape/cityscape as it was in the 70’s. At one point the hero drives out of London on the M4, which was almost empty (!) and takes the Theale exit, J12. Of course all of the development which is there now wasn’t then. It was very weird to see green fields. The film does involve a few people close to the start of their movie careers (e.g. Wim Wenders, Sting). I suspect it’s stylistically important too, at least in the history of British/German film-making. But it just feels, well, half-baked and directionless. And the music is so badly truncated that by half way through I wanted to switch it off and put the records on. Shame, really.

VB

I love his programmes - an amazing man and endlessly fascinating even today.

I don’t know if Weir’s Way was ever shown outside Scotland but in his own way equally fascinating.

1 Like

Did you like that?

Yes,remember watching it in the 70s.

Open Golf final round.

Should be on BBC,the bastards

1 Like