Where did all the good shit go ---> Ass Burn Anonymous ---> Why must I cry?

Everyone has a story of the ‘one that got away’. Here it’s the containers that got away.
I’ve lot count of the amount of people I’ve dealt with who said "I used to have this or that’ and sold it to: The vintage wireless company.’
Of course nice things are still out there but these guys made a significant dent.

1 Like

Well this made me go look up the values of some of the Magic cards I used to own, that was fucking depressing. Things I sold for £10-£15 now getting up to £300-£500 in value.

2 Likes

If they were genuine Magic cards you should be able to make them reappear…

5 Likes

Shortly before I left London to come and live in Milton Keynes in 2002, the little classic car dealership on my road had a 1966 Porsche 911 for sale. A super early base spec C16 UK car. It (aside from the steering wheel being on the other side) looked very like this;

They wanted £12,000 for it. I had £14,500 accrued to buy a house. While I grant you that living in the 911 would have presented its own challenges, it would have been quite the investment.

5 Likes

A Dino for less than 30 grand back in the early eighties had me considering half a dozen credit cards😭

I periodically enjoy showing my father how much E28 BMW M5s fetch these days. He enjoys it less.

A house bought for 15k then would probably be worth a bit more than the Porsche wouldn’t it?

You wouldn’t get a house down south for £15k in 2002, in 2002 I suspect that £12,500 would have been a 10-20% deposit.

My brothers first place in 2004 was a 2 bed flat in southampton for £90k

Investments are over-rated.

In 1982-ish, I was offered a 25% stake in a video rental business in Adelaide.
I really didn’t see a future in it, so didn’t give them my A$2000.

Within the next couple of years, Police started Random Breath Testing, and everybody stayed at home. The Video Rental industry exploded.

The company was Video Ezy who started in Sydney and later took over the Blockbuster Video operations in Straya.

I believe that at it’s peak it was worth around A$40 million (which is about 14p in real money).

4 Likes

I misread the years. I read it as a house for 15k in 1966 :man_facepalming:

now that would be an investment, my parents bought their place in 1974 for £12.5k and it’s now worth around £600k

1 Like

You can go away, I declined one at 8 grand!

you would have spent £5k a year for the last 20 years keeping the thing alive though.

You could get a one bed flat on the outskirts of London for £16,000 in 1983

I did buy an '85 911 Carrera Targa for £10k in 2001ish. Traded it in for an Opel Omega estate when I changed jobs.
Gone up a bit in value since.

Don’t regret it. Was the right thing to do at the time.

Loving the £1000 Alfa at the mo’.

3 Likes

In 1996, when I gave my landlady notice that I was moving out of my studio apartment in Kingston on Thames that I’d been renting, she, for some strange reason, offered to sell it to me for £25,000 - which I thought was an insane amount of money.

Last time it re-sold was in 2017 for £350,000…

I invested the equivalent cash into alcohol, skanks and nasal septum-rotter instead…

Stupid. Fucking. Cunt.

2 Likes

£25k insane for a house but a reasonable amount for alcohol, skanks and nasal septum-rotter - Sounds about right to me.

1 Like

The more I forget how much fun it was, the more I regret it…

Age is cruel :ok_hand:

1 Like

money never wasted.

1 Like

back in my early 30’s I always said I didn’t do the lottery because if I did win I would just end up dead after a lethal cocktail of very filthy women, alcohol and other bodily abuses. Now I’m desperate to win the lottery. Ah middle age and regret.

1 Like