Who engages clutch before starting engine?

The Mondeo forces you to if you want the engine to start. Otherwise pressing Start just brings the electronics etc on.

By the way, when you say ‘engage’ I assume you mean ‘disengage’.

VB

2 Likes

Nope, it requires more work from the starter and will wear the release bearing.

Safety bollocks gone mad I tell you, bloody EU no doubt!

On Kias/Hyundais, the engine cannot be started unless the clutch is disengaged.

Not on my Kia

:hear_no_evil:

Thanks gents for the replies. This fact is new to me - I will try to disengage the clutch when starting from now on

:+1:

Mmm… I’ve had 4 and they all have. Oldest 12 plate.

Yep, this.

2006 Sportage

But you can move the gear lever into neutral without using the clutch if the engine isn’t running…

:joy:

Is that so? I never have engaged the clutch & can’t really see why you’d need to if the car is in neutral when you start it.

http://98ron.superunleaded.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Screen-Shot-2016-08-19-at-14.42.37-1920x1000.png

1 Like

Disengaging the clutch (I.e. depressing the pedal) disconnects the gearbox. In a constant mesh gearbox, all the gears on the input side are locked to the input shaft and are turning, along with the respective output gear. The gear selector works by locking the selected gear to the output shaft.

This arrangement means that the gearbox adds significant drag, even in neutral. When cold, this is even more significant because of increased oil viscosity.

You generally don’t need to disengage the clutch when starting, but it will give the starter and battery an easier time. However, as pointed out, modern cars force you to do it as a ‘safety’ feature.

3 Likes

Modern cars. As if. :grinning:

Works for me. I can concentrate on texting on my phone and touching up my make up darling.

2 Likes

With cold oil to immediately put it back into gear to drive off… Rather you than me.

Was taught to engage the clutch when starting vehicles in the Army and have done so ever since.

Mainly in case I or someone else left the car in gear by mistake.

Slippery slope,next people will be suggesting to use the handbrake when you park

2 Likes