Why do so many buildings catch fire during renovations?

It could be construed that it then becomes a “religious” (or whatever) building.

Looking at the ‘morning after’ pics there are going to be some very tricky jobs that have to be done in the short term. The little work I’ve done on roofs brought it home to me very clearly just what an important structural element they often are. Gable walls can be bloody precarious things until they’re tied to one another by the roof. Especially if the wind gets up. Then there’s all that heat-damaged scaffolding to be disassembled …

VB

Surely you can agree it was a work of art?

I was surprised by how much of the stone ceiling beneath the wooden roof structure has stayed up thus protecting areas beneath.

If only they’d followed the Donald’s advice & air dropped tonnes of water from a great height.

2 Likes

Yes, although the only pic I’ve seen was taken through an entrance when the fire was still at a relatively early stage. So more of it may have come down by now. The idea of erecting scaffolding underneath it is very scary though. Is there any such thing as automated structural support equipment ?

VB

The building may contain works of art, but I am not sure that architecture should be considered art.

Wow.

4 Likes

Please explain your method/working.

4 Likes

I suppose that, as architects are regarded as professionals, rather than artists he has a point, but I think that some buildings, particularly older ones can be an exception.

1 Like

As Donald Trump claims Notre-Dame could have been saved by ‘flying water tankers’, aides reveal the word he was looking for is ‘clouds’.

(stolen from HIGNFY)

4 Likes

“Art” is usually applied to the creation of an individual artist.

The construction of architecture requires many people. Although we like to attribute the idea of the building to an individual architect, he has had to compromise with land ownership and planning regs all along to get a structure assembled.

A beautiful imaginary building might look wonderfully sleek with no doors, but it wouldn’t function.

Architecture is not quite the venture bounded only by imagination that we usually attribute to the artist.

1 Like

Bit deep for a Tuesday, but what is ‘Art’? :thinking:

This thread is some kind of art. The art of stupid.

1 Like

Those stained glass windows were art.

Misery guts strikes again…:roll_eyes:

I wonder if the insurance will pay out or put it down to an act of god?..

6 Likes

Philosophy corner

I went there twice. I’ve been to quite a few Cathedrals, the most nontable being the two in St Petersburg. Notre Dame blew me away the most (due to those exquisite liliac as I remember stained glass windows). It was a very very special building. St Paul’s and Westminster Cathedral pale in comparison.

2 Likes

There are plenty of complications though. The Renaissance masters, once they were well-established, commonly enlisted the help of more junior members of their ‘schools’ to paint the less important parts of their pictures. So does that mean that those pictures aren’t art ? When it comes to sculpture at least some sculptors are not, for example, experts at metal casting. If they leave that to someone who is and if that person’s choices influence, say, the work’s final colour, surface texture etc, does that mean it’s not art ? I think there’s a spectrum and not all architecture is right at one end.

VB

2 Likes